Searching for micro (or FPGA?) with CCD, LCD and USB2.0 interface

For an application that is not dissimular to a digital camera, we are searching for a micro with CCD, LCD and USB 2.0 interface.

The product must show 'live' images on the LCD (low resolution, maybe

320x240 or even lower). When a button is pressed, we need to take a full-size (5 MegaPixel) image and send that to a PC in raw format. The target transfer time is 2 seconds which rules out USB 1.1 for these 15MB (@ 8-bit RGB) or even 22.5MB (@ 12-bit RGB) pictures. As the pictures are large, I suspect we need some SDRAM to temporarely store them.

The product will only sell 100's a year.

We did find a few camera ARM chips, but most only have USB 1.1. The one USB 2.0 we did find is not an opton. We need to order at least 50K pieces before they even start to mention a price.

Another option we'd like to investigate is using an FPGA with a few IP cores dropped in: SDRAM controller, USB 2.0 device, LCD controller, camera interface (CCD, firewire or LVDS?) and maybe even a CPU core or place a small CPU next to it.

As we have no experience with this kind of FPGA development (we only did a few smallish FPGA projects), I have no idea what to expect in terms of development time and licence costs. Any insights there?

Do you have exactly what I want in a plaid poindexter bar bat??
Reply to
Stef

Drop USB and use Ethernet. It's much easier to use. There are several controllers with LCD interface and Ethernet.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank-Christian Krügel

Reply to
Frank-Christian Kruegel

I need a CCD or camera interface as well.

100Mbit Ethernet can't handle 22.5Mbyte in 2 seconds so I would need Gbit Ethernet, kinda limits the controller choice. Also most PC's don't have Gbit ethernet but do have USB 2.0. And USB is far more familiar to non technical customers, network stuff seems to scare them. ;-)

Lawrence Radiation Laboratory keeps all its data in an old gray trunk.
Reply to
Stef

Where on earth did you get these size numbers? They are at least an order of magnitude too large. You are JPEG-compressing the images before transmission, right?

Reply to
larwe

The OP said the images need to be transmitted to PC in raw format.

Even JPEG is acceptable, it takes some serious processing power to encode a 5Mpixel JPEG in 2 seconds. Pushing that amount of raw data over USB 2.0 (or Ethernet like somebody else suggested) may be much simpler. Of course, OP needs to make sure sufficient bandwith is available.

Reply to
Artenz

Take a look at the Intel PXA270 CPU. It has CMOS sensor interface (not CCD, I don't know if that's a problem) and no USB 2.0. It might work however if you can use a CMOS sensor and can compress the data somehow to get it through a 1.1 USB interface (a 5MP image should compress into 1-2MBytes with JPEG and the XScale has some nice MMX features that hopefully help you with the speedy compression). If that's not an option, PLX has an external USB

2.0 chip (NET2272). Both devices seem to be available in reasonable qunatities.

Regards, Andras Tantos

Reply to
Andras Tantos

It has to be CCD and we need the uncompressed data, so no luck with that one. Thanks foor looking.

TAILFINS!! ... click ...
Reply to
Stef