SDIO interface specification

Hello all,

Has anyone had any experience with, or has any technical documentation
on the SDIO card interface?  Specifically, I am interested in the
timing of the SD 4-bit bus interface.

I have been searching online and found that SanDisk and the SD Card
Association have good higher level information on the interface, but
they fall short when it comes to the timing diagrams.

I would think that one of the many SDIO manufacturers would have
documents on the timing of signals to the device.  However, I have
also been unable to find anything more specific than a brocheur for
these parts.

Has anyone had better luck finding the timing specs for SDIO?  Does
anyone have any better suggestions for me?  Does one have to be a
member of the SD Card association to implement an interface for SD?

Many thanks,

Graeme Rouse

Re: SDIO interface specification

You can ask your local SanDisk agent for a copy of the SDIO, and the SD standard.
I think version 1.9 of the SD card is the latest version.
I've heard that different manufacturers have slightly different interpretations,
consequently different implementations.

Re: SDIO interface specification
Hi,

did u find any information about the timing diagrams of SDIO particularly
of SD 1-bit and SD 4-bit mode. i need it urgently if u have got, please
help me out.

thanks in advance...

Re: SDIO interface specification

Here are some of the pin layouts and timing diagram for SD cards.  It
should help you get started.

http://cfd.linnix.com/index.php?sdio

You're welcome.

Re: SDIO interface specification
thanks snipped-for-privacy@linnix.info-for.us!!!

the information given by u is really good, but the pin description i
already have, what i need is detailed timing diagram of the Sd 4-bit and
SD 1-bit modes.

if u have any more information regarding the same, pls send me.
thanks in advance....

vins

Re: SDIO interface specification
thanks snipped-for-privacy@linnix.info-for.us!!!

the information given by u is really good, but the pin description i
already have, what i need is detailed timing diagram of the Sd 4-bit and
SD 1-bit modes.

if u have any more information regarding the same, pls send me.
thanks in advance....

vins

Re: SDIO interface specification

Ask for the

SanDisk Secure Digital Card
Product Manual
Version 1.9
Document Number 80-13-00169
December 2003

There's probably a newer version out now, after all they updated the
spec 5 times last year.

Once you've got the card from one manufacturer working, make sure
that you test cards from other manufacturers as well.

Re: SDIO interface specification
hi dmmilne_removethis_@ozemail.com.au

thanx a lot ..i forgot one thing that i've the SDIO card of Arasan chip
inc., n they don't have any more information about the same, i mean timing
descriptions n all.
so please let me know if u know any thing about the Arasan chip inc. where
can i get the details of the the SDIO card.

thanx in advance.
and i really appreaciate the help n information provided by you, its
highly useful.

vins

Re: SDIO interface specification
hi dmmilne_removethis_@ozemail.com.au

thanx a lot ..i forgot one thing that i've the SDIO card of Arasan chip
inc., n they don't have any more information about the same, i mean timing
descriptions n all.
so please let me know if u know any thing about the Arasan chip inc. where
can i get the details of the the SDIO card.

thanx in advance.
and i really appreaciate the help n information provided by you, its
highly useful.

vins

Re: SDIO interface specification
Has anyone done anything with sdio cameras?

Tony

Re: SDIO interface specification
test

Re: SDIO interface specification

Did any of those datasheets I sent you help you in your search?

Re: SDIO interface specification
Hi David,

Thanks a lot for your help, but the documents you've sent is already with
me. But I really appreciate your step, thanks for helping me. What I need
is the timing diagrams of the SD 1-bit and SD 4-bit mode; I know that
you've signed NDA and you can't give me your copy. David, if you can just
send me the timing diagram section of your document in any other format
(like copy that part and paste it in word document) it would be really
helpful to me. I would be very thankful to you if can provide me those
information. Though, I'm not saying if it's really not feasible.

Thanking you once again!!! And hope the same kind of help in future.

regards,

vins
david, i tried to reply you on your email-add but not working.

[...]

hi tony,

very many thanks for your help, the information given by you is really
highly useful. now i want to know, do you have any idea about the
structure of data coming from the SDIO environment, like whethere it is a
MAC frame or its PLCP frame, i need to know the structure of the data to
implement.
thanking you in advance.
and hope your help as usual.
thanks and regards,
vins

Re: SDIO interface specification
Hi David,

Thanks a lot for your help, but the documents you've sent is already with
me. But I really appreciate your step, thanks for helping me. What I need
is the timing diagrams of the SD 1-bit and SD 4-bit mode; I know that
you've signed NDA and you can't give me your copy. David, if you can just
send me the timing diagram section of your document in any other format
(like copy that part and paste it in word document) it would be really
helpful to me. I would be very thankful to you if can provide me those
information. Though, I'm not saying if it's really not feasible.

Thanking you once again!!! And hope the same kind of help in future.

regards,

vins

Re: SDIO interface specification
vins,
The docs I sent you should have everything you need.  However, I
already have the SD 1-bit mode working and these are a couple of notes
when using SD 1-bit SPI mode:

De-activate the CS pin and send at least 74 clock pulses to reset the
card.  Then when you want to send a command you enable the CS pin,
send the 1byte cmd with the 4byte argument and the 1byte crc then
0xFF, example:

All CMDs are 6 bytes long & transmitted MSB 1st, we also must add 8
dummy clocks to allow the SD card to process the command.

Byte0    Byte1    Byte2    Byte3    Byte4    Byte5    Byte6
[7....0] [31..24] [23..16] [15...8] [7....0] [7....0] [7....0]
01xxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxx1 11111111
CMD      ARG0     ARG1     ARG2     ARG3     CRC      post8clks

Things to keep in mind args are least significant BYTE first, SPI mode
does not use CRCs, except for CMD00 and its crc is always 0x95 all
other cmd's use crc = 0x01.  Do not forget about the last byte (byte6)
you must send 0xFF to alow the card time to process the command.

Hope this helps,
Tony

Re: SDIO interface specification
hi tony ,

i think u must have got my mail on ur yahoo id ... thanx a lot, its really
useful and having a lots of information ...n the thing u have written here
is also very useful .. i'm new to this field, so i rreally need help .n i
really apprecaite the help u have given to me ..thanx a lot ..
hope the same kind of help in future also

thanks and regards,
vins

[...]

Site Timeline