Sch & Layout Free Program

My opinion is that you ask for an awful lot for free. What do you do for a living? Would you mind terribly much doing that for free?

-Mithrandir

Reply to
Robert Scott

What is the best FREE Schematic & PCB Layout software available that will run on Windoze XP?

I've looked at PCB123.com and Expresspcb.com and they have pretty good programs available. Unfortunately if I use either one I'm stuck getting the prototypes through them. (Because they won't output Gerbers)

I've also looked at Eagle Layout at cadsoft.de, but the size limitation of 100 x 80mm on the free version is a negative. It would work for my current project.

I'm just curious at what other people's opinions are.

Thanks,

Eric

Reply to
Eric

look for KICAD (totally free)

Stef Mientki

Reply to
Stef Mientki

No just 5 years too early ;-) Stef

Reply to
Stef Mientki

I'm not trying to "milk the system" I'm just trying to get list of free programs and there limitaions, so I can choose which one I should learn how to use.

I'm using these programs for a hobby non-profit project.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Maybe it is time for you to install linux. gEDA and PCB are free on linux. They are very good.

vax, 9000

Reply to
vax, 9000

Guy Macon

In terms of freely available downloads that are useful up to a level I would suggest you have a look at VuTrax . If the pin limit is too low for your needs the cost of upgrading to the next level is quite reasonable. It is also available for Linux too.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

Eagle works well for me. I recommend to use the Lite version if the size limitation is not an issue for your current project and if you like it and all that it does, purchase the standard or pro version for larger sizes and more than two layers. That's what I did and I am happy with it. Its big plus for me was its support for Mac OS X and (indirectly) FreeBSD Unix. I find it to be a very stable, solid, package.

-Brian

--
Brian Dean
BDMICRO - ATmega128 Based MAVRIC Controllers
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Brian Dean

IME, pcb doesn't run that well on Windows.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

Have you considered TinyCAD and FreePCB? Both open source and free.

--

Wing Wong.
Reply to

I use the free version of Target downloaded from

Which does up to six layers and and has no pin limit or board size limit.

Ken

k.hopkins

And limits to only use pcbpool.com service...which is around same price excluding shipping/vat as here in europe including shipping/vat (o;

rick

Reply to
Jedi

Thank you for all your suggestions. I think Eagle is going to be the best choice for me, and it sounds like people have had good success with it.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Define best.

Other than that try Eagles at cadsoft.com. Works on all platforms, has a free version and an upgrade path.

ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

"Eric" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Eagle is nice. I used it for a lot of homebrew stuff. There is a software called BAE, which is less limited and for only 49 Euro (AFAIK). But I did'nt use it, just heard good comments about it.

Regards Falk

Reply to
Falk Brunner

I'm quite happy with Eagle (also on Linux). Don't underestimate the value of a big component library and how important it is that you can create your own components easily. For non-profit, there's a non-free but cheap version of Eagle which will do full eurocard format (100x160). Eagle is also extensible my user programs, there is such an 'ULP' to export to spice for simulation by e.g. SwitchCadIII (I've never tried that though).

Mat Nieuwenhoven

Reply to
Mat Nieuwenhoven