scanning barcode, distance <10mm

hello, i'm lost on this... (novice in barcode, wrong keywords?)

- pharmaceutical device using ampoules

- ampoules have a barcode identifying the charge (stationary object)

- need a _small_ barcode sensor? reader? ccd based? laser something? board? chip? to integrate in the device (atmel based)

- distance to object is 5-10mm

- barcode encoding doesn't matter

the closest i came up with is symbol.com, but its no fit

please help!

thank you

lutz

Reply to
fux

You might find a few useful links in here

Peter

Reply to
moocowmoo

Intermec has several CCD scanners, and scan engines, though I'm not sure if they would fit your bill.

#disclaimer: I happen to work for them. ;-)

Reply to
aurgathor

You haven't mentioned what your other design criteria are (cost, size, power consumption, development time, how the labels are expected to be scanned, label size, etc.).

I've used integrated emitter-detectors from HP in the past (HEDS-1000, e.g.) quite successfully (though I am no longer sure that "HP" makes *any* components...)

With a little bit of signal conditioning (buffer and window comparator, etc.) you'll end up with a "video" signal that represents the "light/dark" nature of the item passing through the detector's focus. It is a simple matter to time the interval between successive black-to-white/white-to-black transitions and, from that, deduce the relative widths of the bars/spaces -- which ultimately allows you to decode the symbol. Especially if you are free to pick the code used, character density, data encoding scheme, etc.

Take a quick peek at:

Apologies if the URL gets mangled... MS's tools like to screw up embedded spaces :-( The file name should be "Barcode Terminology.pdf" (I should just remove the space and be done with it! :> )

Reply to
D Yuniskis