SATA / SATA II for embedded system ?

Hello,

is it possible to use SATA / SATA II for embedded systems ? At the moment i have almost no info about SATA, so please forgive my general questions.

The SATA connector looks fairly simple (reference see below), only 4 data lines needed plus 3 ground pins.

Is it needed to use the high speed of 1,5 GBit/s or 3,0 GBit/s or can i use the much slower (in kHz area, which a uC can generate, e.g. by bit banging) ?

Or are there easy to use controller, which can be connected to a uC (like SPI, or an 8 + x bit interface) of an embedded system and SATA HD on the other side ?

Remark: No project behind at the moment. I want to use the SATA only because of simple wiring (instead of P-ATA) and big space on HD.

Is it worth buying the specification (ok, looks to be cheap compared to other spec...), or do i immediately see, that i can forget my project, because it is not possible ?

Is

the official page for SATA / SATA II specifications, or are there different ones ?

I at least found the pinout on

The spec can be bought for less money (25 USD) at

Regards,

Martin

Reply to
Martin Maurer

Looking at this document, page 4...

It looks unlikely. Much talk of packet framing, CRC, 8b/10b encoding, etc. Since there's no separate clock line, I'd imagine that the timing is tightly defined and would not work bit-banged.

Yes. You can get a single chip IDE SATA converter. IDE is trivial to interface too.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

[Snipped]

I did a very quick search on google, and the impression I got that these ICs are to connect an IDE device to a SATA controller. What the OP need would be a converter that connects a SATA device to an IDE controller.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Hello Anton,

I at least found a few of these converters cheap on ebay. One of them uses a Marvell 88i8030 on it (which seems to be an old but widely used chip).

Regards,

Martin

Reply to
Martin Maurer