Sample VFD Driver Source Needed!

Hello,

I am supposed to write a Device Driver (Firmware) for a VFD module
(replacement for LCD). I am new to VFD. I am looking for some reference
material and / or source for the same. Let me know, if anybody has
pointers for the same.

Thanks and Regards
Arun

Re: Sample VFD Driver Source Needed!
Hello,

I am supposed to write a Device Driver (Firmware) for a VFD module
(replacement for LCD). I am new to VFD. I am looking for some reference
material and / or source for the same. Let me know, if anybody has
pointers for the same.

Thanks and Regards
Arun

Re: Sample VFD Driver Source Needed!
hello,

can't figure out much from your query,
elaborate giving which microcontroller, OS, or other specs.
till then vist http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/vfdmanual.htm

Re: Sample VFD Driver Source Needed!
Hello,

VFD = GU256X128E-3x0x

Microcontroller MC68332

No Operating System. The driver is meant to be a Firmware.

Regards
Arun

Re: Sample VFD Driver Source Needed!

Then why the !$%^ are you posting to comp.os.vxworks and
comp.os.linux.development.systems.  Your breach of standard Usenet
edicate doesn't make you or your company (or your nation) look good.
Bigots need few excuses!

Please post in just one group and wait for a response.  I know you
think you are an important person [most people do].  But cluttering
Usenet with irrelevant post is going to help drive people with answers
away.  Try to google "Usenet FAQ".  For instance,

   "http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/posting-rules/part1 /"

There are many more, but as you are an important person I have tried
to save you the time.  Most of the information you require could be
found through a little searching with google.  Especially, you can use
google groups to see if the subject was discussed in a usenet group
(comp.os.vxworks, etc).  VFDs are not discussed that frequently in
comp.os.vxworks.  I think your question is way off topic for posting
in c.o.v given that you don't require an OS.

I have set followups to "comp.arch.embedded,sci.electronics.design".
I am not sure that they are relevant... but I wouldn't want to
overstep my liberty.

I would email this directly, but I want all the other nice people in
comp.os.vxworks, comp.os.linux.development.system, comp.arch.embedded,
and sci.electronics.design to know that this thread is cross posted so
they can make an informed decision upon replying.

fwiw,
Bill Pringlemeir.

--
A mind that  is stretched to a new idea never  returns to its original
dimension - Anonymous

Re: Sample VFD Driver Source Needed!
I did not ask for Linux or VxWorks Device Driver Source for VFD.
However, It does not really matter for me for which operating system
the driver was written. All I wanted was to get the feel of programming
the VFD, its operations, features and functionalities from the Software
perspective. In other words some C or Assembly Code that programs the
VFD irrespective of Operating System.

I can understand your anger and your expression.

Please read my initial e-mail on this subject one more time.

Arun

Re: Sample VFD Driver Source Needed!

Just search google for hd44180 tutorials, code, etc.

--
Steve Sousa

Re: Sample VFD Driver Source Needed!

What possible use is this monstrously cross-posted and
information-free article supposed to have?  It quotes nothing, has
no context, and even lacks sentences.  It simply annoys the
majority of readers.

If you must play on the foul google usenet interface, at least
learn to use what is there in a reasonable manner.  That involves
using the reply mechanism at the top of a message, rather than that
at the bottom.  Spend some time reading the links below.

--
 Some informative links:
Re: Sample VFD Driver Source Needed!

I found this code a while ago, originally in chinese (???) and
babelfish translated it, the comments are translated, not mine, hence
the bad english. It is sample code for the PS6311. Our project was to
decode what was on a DVD Recorder display to work out what mode and
status it had.

; VFD DISPLAY CONTROL SUB PROGRAM (VFD 11 BYTE 16 SEG)
INI_VFD:        ; Initialization PS6311
    CLR VFD_STB
    MOV A, #3AH    ; Demonstrates the pattern establishment order character:
11, 17 section of
    LCALL OUTDATA
    SETB VFD_STB
    NOP
    RET

WR_VFD:            ; Writes the demonstration data to PS6311
    CLR VFD_STB
    MOV A, #70H    ; Data establishment order character: The normal work, the
address add 1 way, writes demonstration data
    LCALL OUTDATA
    SETB VFD_STB
    NOP
    CLR VFD_STB
    MOV A, #0C0H    ; Address establishment order character: 0 starts
    LCALL OUTDATA
    MOV R2, #21H
    MOV R1, #5FH    ; from the address; The demonstration data puts on
monolithic integrated circuit RAM 5FH ~ 7FH
WR_VFD1:
    MOV A, @R1
    LCALL OUTDATA
    INC R1
    DJNZ R2, WR_VFD1
    SETB VFD_STB
    NOP
    CLR VFD_STB
    MOV A, #0BFH
    LCALL OUTDATA    ; Display control order character: Demonstrates, pulse
width 14,/16
    SETB VFD_STB
    RET

RD_KEY:            ; Reads the PS6311 keyboard data (17)
    CLR VFD_STB
    MOV A, #76H
    LCALL OUTDATA
    LCALL INDATA
    MOV KEY_BUF1, A    ; The key value data-carrier storage first byte gives
KEY_BUF1
    LCALL INDATA
    MOV KEY_BUF2, A    ; The key value data-carrier storage second byte gives
KEY_BUF2
    LCALL INDATA
    MOV KEY_BUF3, A    ; The key value data-carrier storage third byte gives
KEY_BUF3
    SETB VFD_STB
    CLR VFD_STB
    RET

OUTDATA:
    MOV R0, #08    ; Transmits byte
    SETB VFD_DOUT
OUTDATA1:
    CLR VFD_CLK
    RRC A
    MOV VFD_DOUT, C
    SETB VFD_CLK
    DJNZ R0, OUTDATA1
    RET

INDATA:
    MOV R0, #08        ; Reads in byte
    SETB VFD_DOUT
INDATA1:
    SETB VFD_CLK
    CLR VFD_CLK
    MOV C, VFD_DOUT
    RRC A
    DJNZ R0, INDATA1
    RET

Hope you find it of some assistance.

Alec

Re: Sample VFD Driver Source Needed!

Thought I'd see if thr original site was still there, it is!
http://www.longtoo.com/mcu/uPD16311.asp
Of course this only helps if you need to drive a uPD6311 or PS6311
Alec

Re: Sample VFD Driver Source Needed!

Noritake/Itron do VFD modules that are software compatible with the
ubiquitous HD44180 LCD driver chip. So they can simply drop-in as
replacements. There are additional controls for intensity, but not hard to
adapt existing LCD driver code to control them.

K.

Re: Sample VFD Driver Source Needed!
Some VFD modules (especially from Noritake) are intended as direc
replacements (except electrical specs like current consumption) for th
standard LCD modules. You haven't said that this is what you mean b
"replacement for LCD". If it is, then there will be plenty of cod
available depending on your processor and whether you want a high leve
language implementation.

A little more detail will advance your query.

www.EmbeddedRelated.com

Re: Sample VFD Driver Source Needed!

look on the noritake site. They have information on the construction and
progamming requirements of VFD displays.

---
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

Site Timeline