Running out of ROM and out of RAM

Running out of ROM and running out of RAM.

What does it mean? What is the difference between them?

------
 Alex Vinokur
     http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn

Re: Running out of ROM and out of RAM

Anmbiguous. Could mean:

The code of the program currently being executed is in RAM (ROM being
the alternative). RAM is usually much faster than EPROM or flash, so
it's quite common in bigger embedded systems to copy the program into
RAM at boot time, and run it from there. Of course, PCs etc. always run
out of RAM.

Alternatively:

You have not designed in enough memory of one kind or the other to
encompass the program you are trying to put into it. Don't tell the boss
until you have a solution or can blame it on someone else.

Paul Burke

Re: Running out of ROM and out of RAM

[snip]

Thanks.

"Running out of ROM" means "Running in RAM" (?)

Does "Running out of RAM" mean "Running in ROM"?

------
 Alex Vinokur
     http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn

Re: Running out of ROM and out of RAM

No, "running out" means there is not enough left. So running out of ROM
means your code does not fit in ROM anymore. Running out of RAM means all
your variables do not fit in RAM anymore.

Meindert

Re: Running out of ROM and out of RAM

No. I am afraid you have a double problem of
-) insufficient mastery of English language
-) little acquaintance with (micro) computer hardware terminology

as already said: "running out of" means "developing a shortage of"

ROM stands for Read-only-memory, it is
where your executable code get stored
RAM is a rather unlucky term describing read/write memory,
this is the place where your variables and stack exist.

Allow me to suggest you find some basic introduction
to microcontrollers, in English language,
and work your way through.
Specific questions can always be posted here

But I am afraid your present question indicates
that you have a long way to go.
Excuse me for being straightforward...
Good luck anyway!
KA

Re: Running out of ROM and out of RAM

And it can also mean "running residing in" or "running from".
As in: The code on my last ARM project was running out of RAM,
but the code in my H8/300 project runs from ROM.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Did an Italian CRANE
                                  at               OPERATOR just experience

You are right! Much depends on context.
As someone else implied: perhaps English is not the
perfect language for scientifical/technical conversations...

Re: Running out of ROM and out of RAM

Aren't we mixing up "running out of RAM" with "executing in RAM"?

Meindert

Re: Running out of ROM and out of RAM

It's not at all uncommon for "running out of RAM" to mean
"executing in RAM".  And if you write too much code you'll be
"running out of RAM" in both senses.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  What's the MATTER
                                  at               Sid?... Is your BEVERAGE

No, either meaning is a possibility. Usually the context would help
disambiguate.*

See, for example, this message:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2003-04/msg00611.html

"Notice that gdb continuously modifies running code in order to insert
breakpoints etc. (this is true with bdm and serial connections) If you
want to debug, code should therefore be running out of ram."

* BTW, I really don't like the sound of "executing in RAM". It doesn't
execute *in* RAM, it executes in the CPU/ALU or whatever. "From RAM"
would be clear and unambiguous.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Running out of ROM and out of RAM
On 15 Dec 2005 02:37:42 -0800, "Alex Vinokur"

Isn't language wonderful? I assumed OP meant 'having a lack of
resource', as in 'i'm running out of cash'.. but I should be carefull
of that one as you could read that as 'running out of cache' :-)

Site Timeline