RS232 on PocketPC

Dear,

I'm looking for a handheld PC running Windows (CE/Mobile) with a RS232 connection. Or unless someone can inform me about whether a USB-to-RS232 device works on these devices?

Thank you,

- Joris

Reply to
Joris Dobbelsteen

on

I've run comms ports on iPAQs over both USB and Bluetooth so, yes, it works.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Hi,

I use IrDA for serial comm with PocktPC. Easy programmable in Studio and almost on every handheld.

Gerard

on

Reply to
-

This question is better asked in sci.geo.sattelite-nav believe it or not. There is some demand for PDAs with serial ports so you can plug your GPS unit into them.

Generally speaking, the mid to higher end units have serial ports, the lower end (cheap) units generally do not. As already mentioned in this thread, you may be able to work around it to some extent with an IrDA interface, as it appears Infra Red is more prevalant than RS232 on PDAs.

Yes, but only a few select models, and expensive at that. And from what I remember reading, you can't use any USB/RS232 interface, it has to be designed for the PDA, AND the PDA needs to support host-side USB comms for it to work (very few do). Not really a viable option IMO, unless it's a one-off, you already have the PDA, and are not willing to spend at least that much again to crossgrade to a different brand PDA that does have RS232.

It would be a much better option to do your homework _before_ buying the PDA (exactly as you're doing now).

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

There aren't many Pocket PC (new name for CE) devices which have a real RS-232 port. There are adapters for the iPAQ to connect to a 9-pin RS-232 device, but I haven't personally tried it, so I don't which pins are actually connected or what the support looks like from the Pocket PC OS.

As for USB, you should be aware that USB is not like RS-232 in that USB requires a USB Host (master) and USB Devices (slaves). Most PDAs are only capable of acting as USB Devices, and can't host. Naturally, most RS-232 to USB adapters are also exclusively USB Devices and also can't host. This means that connecting a PDA to a USB-to-RS-232 adapter is unlikely to work. I have read that Toshiba and Casio both produce PDAs which have USB Hosting capability and I know that there is a Compact Flash card that will endow that capability to an iPAQ or to a Zaurus.

I own a Zaurus, but if you're looking exclusively for Pocket PC solutions, you won't want this -- it runs Linux.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Beroset