RS-232 hub

Had a customer ask if we could supply a 16 to 1 hub RS-232 hub. He said there was only one manufacturer he know of that made one.

I did a lot of searching and did not find anything other than something incredibly expensive by BlackBox corporation.

Found plenty of USB and ethernet to multiple seral port converters of course, but that isn't it. Computers may not even be involved.

Seen anything like that? Doesn't even matter yet whether it is "party line" or "code operated switch" operation. I would just like to find anything.

Gary Peek Industrologic, Inc.

Reply to
Gary Peek

We made a 24 way RS422 to 1 RS232 hub. It broadcasts out and we rely on the slave devices not to transmit back at the same time. It's a horrible and expensive thing designed 6 years ago but if you really want one I'll forward a request to the sales department to see if it is worth making new ones.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

I have an expandable 4-port RS-232 multiplexer which can be easily daisy-chained to 16 channels or more. Baud rates up to 115K.

(email me if you'd like the full datasheet)

Perhaps of interest to you there is also a newer product coming very soon that can be mixed and matched for various multiple interfaces including Ethernet/USB/232/422/485/VGA/SD/DAQ/MODEM.

*Peter*

Gary Peek wrote:

Reply to
Peter Jakacki

Wow, have you seen that page yourself? Full of Microshaft rubbish. Unreadable. Apparently made with.. nah.... tsss..

content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

I know I know, I did it quite a while ago as a test page and it's still up there. Since then I have used Nvu as a HTML editor, is that OK??? :)

*Peter*

Me>> I have an expandable 4-port RS-232 multiplexer which can be easily

Reply to
Peter Jakacki

Dunno. I am using Arachnophilia mysef (the last version before they turned it into a java monster), which is just a plain HTML editor with syntax coloring a buttons to drop-in table frameworks and that sort of stuff. No WYSIWYG but then you get nice compact HTML. I always shiver when I see the code those full blown packages spit out :-)

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

I designed a high-speed RS-232/RS-422 hub where I worked some years ago that used '2313 AVRs as UARTs interfaced via SPI (software on the AVRs) to a mid-range PIC. Someone else wrote the software (it was really his project). I think it's still in production. I'm not sure if it could be extended to 16 inputs, though.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Dreamweaver didn't seem too bad when I played with it some time ago.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

If you can't find what you're looking for, the company I used to work for makes serial hubs with up to 32 ports. They're generally accessed via Ethernet using either TCP/IP connections to individual ports or using "virtual COM/tty" drivers. But, they're user-programmable, so you could modify the firmware to do something else.

IIRC, another customer was going to tweak the firmware to make them act as a sort of logical "Y" cable, but I don't know if they went ahead with that project.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Someone in DAYTON,
                                  at               Ohio is selling USED

How exactly will it get used? - Tx to multiple units: no problem - Rx from multiple units: wired-OR'ed?

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Unknown yet. I have an email to the customer asking, but I wanted to see what was out there for starters. They monitor RS-232 streams with their software, so wire-ORing reception from multiple inputs is a likely choice.

Gary Peek Industrologic, Inc.

Reply to
Gary Peek

As long as they don't talk at the same time.

How about 16 I/O ports wired to RS-232 drivers.

Reply to
linnix