RPC vs. Comms Protocol

We have an application which calls for the execution of quite a complex command set on a custom board controlled over ethernet by a PC.

I've used Sun RPC in the past and didn't like it much. I've also used home grown comms protocols and command interpreters. Didn't like them much either. What are other people using? Is RPC still even worth considering for a new design?

Cheers TW

Reply to
Ted

Having been down a similar route recently, I'd say: define your own protocol, and thus stay in control. (I've developed an allergy to tying my fortunes to those of third parties.)

Steve

Steve at fivetrees