ROMmable / diskless OS ?

Since I'm a newbie here, I have a few of questions:

  1. Where do I begin in creating a ROMmable / diskless based OS (that said, for example, i already have it booting from a floppy thanks to alt.os.development guys).

  1. What freeware/open source tools do I need or can I use?

  2. Do I need to create a custom BIOS from scratch for use with my OS?

  1. Do I have to "emulate" or "simulate" a disk? (i.e. the whole disk based startup procedure) Is disk (cd, hd, or floppy) support really necessary?

Reply to
proteanthread

You begin by selecting or stating what OS is to be used and what the target platform is. The mechanics of assembling a bootable OS in "ROM" are 100% platform and OS-specific.

On an x86 PC architecture there will be no need whatsoever to write your own BIOS as long as the hardware platform has some non-disk boot device, such as a network boot ROM socket.

Reply to
larwe