RISC-V Picking Up Steam

RISC-V is appearing in low cost MCUs and on low cost START boards.  Just not documented in English.

$11 simple board...

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.4-b-s.w5003-21978304610.1.48fa306cBtYGKJ&id60%1020356481&skuId43%80996691920

$50 Full featured Eval board...

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.4-b-s.w5003-21978304610.2.48fa306cBtYGKJ&id60%1461418296&skuId42%10917805730

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: RISC-V Picking Up Steam

NXP has one:
https://mcuoneclipse.com/2019/03/05/debugging-the-rv32m1-vega-risc-v-with-eclipse-and-mcuxpresso-ide/

Re: RISC-V Picking Up Steam

Some people make their information hard to find.  I can't find a data sheet on either the CPUs or the board.  Am I just missing this?  open-isa doesn't actually talk about chips or boards, they talk about "platforms" which can mean IP to make chips from.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: RISC-V Picking Up Steam

I think everything you're looking for is here:
https://open-isa.org/downloads/

Re: RISC-V Picking Up Steam

Thanks.  This chip is much more complex than I would have expected.  If I'm reading the docs right, there are four CPUs?  Or maybe there are two versions of the chip, one with two ARM CPUs and one with two RISC-V CPUs?

Either way, this will take a lot of work to get familiar with.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: RISC-V Picking Up Steam

Yup! Too bad I don't have time right now...

Re: RISC-V Picking Up Steam

as far as I can tell they just hedge their bets by putting both
arm and risc-v on the chip, but you can't use both you have to chose
which to use

Re: RISC-V Picking Up Steam

The chip is designed purely for the purposes of comparison and
evaluation.  It will let people get an idea of whether RISC-V or ARM
will be the best choice (or if they are equally usable) in a
microcontroller context.

I suppose NXP is hedging their bets in that they will make whatever
chips people want to buy.

Re: RISC-V Picking Up Steam

:
f I'm reading the docs right, there are four CPUs?  Or maybe there are two
versions of the chip, one with two ARM CPUs and one with two RISC-V CPUs?

and if people don't want RISC-V the chip isn't a total waste
(assuming it doesn't take that up much die area)

Re: RISC-V Picking Up Steam

The chip will never be sold to people who want an ARM core.  It will
never be sold in quantity to anyone, other than people making evaluation
or demo cards.  It is targeted at people who don't know if they are best
served by a RISC-V core or an ARM core, so that they can make a
comparison with a single device that lets them swap between cores, and
provides identical peripherals for each core.  They can write a single
application, and with no more than a little conditional compilation
compile that application for either ARM or RISC-V.  They can run it on
the two cores, and measure speed, power, and any other factors that
interest them.  They can swap back and forth, testing on each core.

Then they will go back to NXP and say "That RISC-V core is great.  It
let me get the same results for half the battery usage" or "That RISC-V
core is okay, but not significantly different from ARM for my
applications - I'll stick to what I know unless the price is good
enough", or "The RISC-V core was rubbish - I prefer ARM".

Re: RISC-V Picking Up Steam

Ok, but just to be clear, I thought I saw a total of four processors.  Do you only get a choice to run one of the four then?  That makes sense to put two comparisons on the same 'test" die, a lower end comparison and a higher level comparison.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: RISC-V Picking Up Steam

As far as I understand it, you can have a low-end and a high-end core at
the same time.  I don't know if you can mix and match with one ARM and
the other RISC-V, or if both have to be from the same vendor.

Site Timeline