Richard Stallman is responsible for the shrinking economy -- PART 3

In message , Pertti Kellomaki writes

It has been discussed before that had Berkeley released BSD UNIX only 6 months previously (apparently it was to do with missing a meeting of the Regents that made it happen 6 months late) Linux would never have got anywhere. BSD would have been the phenomenon Linux became

As it was BSD came out in the shadow of the Linux explosion

Chris H

"I really mean BSD Unix, not the TCP/IP specification"

This claim is a bit of a stretch. The groundwork for the TCP layer as set at a meeting in the fall of 1973. TCP/IP was running a year and a half later. By 1984 TCP/IP was already widely available for anything with enough computing power to be be connected to a network.

Regards,

-- Walter Banks Byte Craft Limited

Walter Banks

I am willing to be educated, but my understanding is that even though TCP/IP was available on other systems, the proliferation of BSD in universities significantly fueled the expansion of the internet.

--
Pertti
Reply to