Richard Stallman is responsible for the shrinking economy

Richard Stallman is responsible for the shrinking economy in US and Weston Europe

GNU licenses and open source software is the reason why many electronic devices in the commercial market have cheap imitations with poor quality software designed and built in China. They do not need to spend money in developing the software, free software is taken from the internet for profit. For example many products in China are built using the Micrium uC/OSII RTOS without fees paid or heavily modified linux against the license agreement.

Free software available on the internet has devalued the apparent output of any firmware developers output. This leads to Managers and Directors belief that they do not need to spend money or time on firmware developments costs. Therefore approximately 75% of the development costs of a product is squeezed to near zero.

Discuss and share your thoughts:

Reply to
bigbrownbeastiebigbrownface

I did not know open source licenses force you to write poor quality software.

And for a moment I thought this post was about open source...

My take is that infrastructure such as operating systems and compilers becoming open source have leveled the playing field so that innovative small companies can provide customers with affordable products. Just look at navigators, wlan base stations etc.

Whining about open source just indicates an inability to adjust to new market realities.

--
Pertti
Reply to

Le Thu, 09 Apr 2009 03:48:39 -0700, bigbrownbeastiebigbrownface a écrit :

Take a look at the immense benefits of the free software compared to its small "side effects"

And you think that free software is involved in those crass-root ?

Have you ever develop software for the industry ? Even a software based on free software ?

If poor experienced managers believe that developping software, even those based on free software is easy, they will quickly understand their mistake ... believe me.

Habib

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

As someone who makes a living writing free software, I find your logic... entertaining.

If proprietary software can't compete in a free market, that's their problem.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

At that level of software products you are right, but that is only part of the story. The open source has put a lot of pressure on innovation in software technology. When expectations are that software products are low or zero cost there is less potential reward for taking speculative risk exploring new ideas.

The whole industry suffers. We are using operating systems that were designed 20 years ago, running for the most part on processors with instruction sets designed for hand written assembler.

Regards,

-- Walter Banks Byte Craft Limited

Walter Banks

On a related note, the market for luxury buggy whips shrinks for the

85th consecutive year...
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I just re-read this paragraph. What you are saying for is it is okay for innovative small companies to get paid for their innovation but they should not have to pay others for their innovation?

It devalues innovation.

w..

Reply to
Walter Banks

And all First World proprietary software is of high quality?

Read the rules of debate...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Since it's proprietary, who will ever know? Barring catastrophic failures, or reverse-engineering, or Congressional subpoena of the software development process documentation, of course. But how likely is that? .... Oh, wait.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Regards, Richard.

    Designed for Microcontrollers. More than 7000 downloads per month.

    Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.

Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

Un bel giorno snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com digitò:

If the people buys them, and will keep buying them more and more "shrinking" the western economies, it means that the quality isn't so poor, is it? Otherwise the magic, awesome, invisible hand of the economy would intervene, wouldn't it?

This kind of reasonings make me laugh. Until western countries were able to use overseas work to produce their goods at 10 cents/hour, the globalization was good - no, it was excellent! Now that the overseas countries are able to do the same by themselves, the economy is sick! Oooh government, please, tax the imports from China and give us some bailout money!

--
emboliaschizoide.splinder.com
Reply to

How does "make a living" come from writing free software?

--
Thad
Reply to

Contrary to lay wisdom, there persons that get paid to write free software.

This people make a living with the income they get.

--
Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.

FOSS is made by the employed programmers who are sick of being forced to do crap. So they put their creativity into the FOSS hobby. Since the boss doesn't have a clue, they keep doing their hobby at work, and even dare to insist that it is beneficial to the company. Then there are the stupidents, the old farts who have nothing to do, the obsessed linuxopaths and the leftist weenies, but I doubt if the those categories have any significant contribution. But as the ham radio did not abolish the AT&T, that FOSS stuff won't extirpate the paid software.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Thad Smith wrote:

*-*

Reply to
JeffM

Other people pay us to write software they want.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Which begs the recursive question, why do their employers pay someone to write free software?

I'm just curious as to how the economics works. I'm sure it does, just curious how.

--
Thad
Reply to

Sure, there is still a company called AT&T. But when did you last see a Bell System telephone?

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Every time I look at the phone on my desk. :-)

--
ArarghMail904 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
BCET Basic Compiler Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/index.html

To reply by email, remove the extra stuff from the reply address.
Reply to
ArarghMail904NOSPAM

wordsmithe: (ansient, olde english) : a craftsman of wordss.

Reply to
Jacko