Requires an SDIO Host controller for testing a SDIO card

Hello all,

Has anyone had experience in writing the SDIO controller car software? I am working on a SDIO controller software using the SP interface. The controller being used is PIC.

And I am not able to find a SDIO Host controller for testing m card.

And I am unable to find which SPI mode is used for communication? and whether the SD 1-bit mode implementation is mandatory for testing m card. If so, then what is the specification for the SD protocol and how i works?

Please help me out.

Many Thanks

Munnangi

Reply to
munnangi

I have done this on an ARM LPC-2378 dev board. It's all written in C, but it works ok with the one and only (16MB) SD card I own. I'm pretty sure that I am violating the 400KHz data-rate speed limit when initializing the card, but it seems to work anyway.

??? Do you want to use SPI mode for communicating with SD card or the really fast interface? On the ARM, the host controller is built in as a peripheral device. I haven't used that part yet, only bit banging ordinary I/O pins to simulate an SPI transceiver. Or, are you asking where to get a socket to mate with the card?

It's hard to find because they want you to pay for the specification. I was able to work enough of it out from a public (read as highly stripped down) version of the specification and from using SD (and MMC) card datasheets/app-notes from various manufacturers.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Hello,

First of all thank you for your reply. It seems You have worked on S card. And the initialization sequence of SD card varies a lot from that of SDIO

And I am writing the SDIO card controller software in Assembly of PIC. I have written the code upto the SDIO card waits for CMD5 from the SDI aware host and replies with R1 response.

but

the

ordinary

Yes, you are right , I want a host controller (eg: PDA) which is an SDI aware host and supports the SPI mode. How did you test your SD card? And the command sequence of SD card protocol. Basically I need a platform to test my SDIO card, and we are already member of SD card Association. I found some protocol analyser on the ne from Yokogawa, Jinvani software, but they are too costly. we cannot affor it.

So, If you have any information on how to proceed with the testing m card, please do provide the information

Thank you in advance

was

down)

Munnangi

Reply to
munnangi

Ok, I think I'm starting to get it. You are creating a device that plugs into a MMC/SD/SDIO socket. I'm kinda slow.

I used an LPC-2378STK dev board from

The actual SPI controller in the dev board is not connected to the MMC socket pins. There is an internal high speed controller that can generate the MCICLK, MCIDAT0-3 etc signals, but I have not used that module yet. I used the pins as general I/O pins and bit-banged the SPI signal to the card. Slow and crude, but I learned from it (which was my goal). I'm into the ARM stuff right now (but I've done plenty of PIC stuff), but Olimex makes plenty of other dev boards with MMC sockets and various CPUs, including PIC. Their PIC-USB-STK has an MMC socket and an 18F4550 processor on it, along with a bunch of other functionality.

That's about all I know.

Your welcome, hope it helps.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont