Relationship between PCLK and HCLK in AMBA system.

Hello.

I was wondering if someone can explain to me the relationship between the HCLK (AHB side) and PCLK (APB side) in an AMBA system. After the bridge, is the PCLK frequency the same as that of HCLK? How much slower is the APB side compared to the AHB side, or is it just at matter of the number of clock cycles required to perform the accesses?

Do peripherals connected to the APB divide down PCLK when they are not required to operate at PCLK/HCLK frequency?

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
marcoa.castellon

On 22 Sep 2006 10:28:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: /cut

AHB is a fast bus. APS is not because peripherals are slow. Clock for APB is AHP/(int)number.

On my ARM system I can set APB clock as 1/4, 1/2 or 1/1 of AHP clock.

Ivan from Croatia

Reply to
Mad I.D.

It depends on the system level design. In many SoC / ASICs the HCLK and PCLK are the same. However, there are some cases where PCLK is divided from HCLK. The design of the AHB to APB bus bridge will have to adapt to the design requirement. The implementation is the choice of system designers, not a part of AMBA specification.

For example, if you are designing a new chip with an AHB clock frequency of 200MHz, and from timing analysis result you find that the APB cannot reach this speed, you can use a AHB to APB bridge that allow PCLK to be half of HCLK frequency, and run the PCLK at 100MHz.

If a peripherals cannot operate at PCLK / HCLK frequency, they can be designed to support multiple clock domains. The bus interface can operate at PCLK frequency, and the rest of the peripheral operate at a slower frequency. Synchronisation logic will be needed between the different clock domain if they are not synchronous to each other. This is a rather complicated area in chip design and can go wrong easily if not handled carefully.

Joseph

Reply to
Joseph