Recommended mcu for audio processor platform?

I'm looking for suggestions as to a processor to use to make myself a general-purpose, 1 channel, realtime audio (think something like a guitar stompbox) processing unit.

I'm pretty familiar with AVR-class 8-bit mcus, and while it might be possible to put together what I need with one and some outboard circuitry, it just doesn't seem like the right tool for the job.

What I'm looking for is something that can, without straining itself, do

16-bit, 80kHz A-D conversion and has enough onboard RAM to keep a second or 2 of it buffered _and_ (yeah, yeah, I know...) have enough processor oomph to actually do a little something with the data while it's being read and written.

In-circuit programming capability is a big deal.

It'd be _way_ cool if all of this were onboard in a single unit, but if you have a favorite mcu/a-d converter pair, well, I'm interested in that, too.

Power consumption is not really that important for this application - nor is unit cost - at least not in the sense that it usually means for 8-bit controllers. US$100 is probably too much, though.

Got any pointers? I just have the feeling that there are dsp-oriented processors that are pretty close to what I'm looking for, but I just don't know what's available and is, well, not a royal pain in the butt to work with - if you know what I mean.

Thanks,

-jim berry

Reply to
foo

So you need DMA support!

80000 * 16 = 160 kB /second 2 seconds buffer = 320 kB. Not likely that you will find an MCU wicth such large amounts of SRAM. Look for a CPU module with a 32 bitter and an Audio Codec.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

wavefront semi AL3101 is just the thing you want and checkout

and google "Miss Parker" beware documentation is a bit rough

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

--- quote --- The chip has however some limitations which are not so annoying in standard audio processing: It's working in sample-based mode making FFTs and the likes impossible, The memory is limited to 1024 data values which limits the total delay (of algorithms using delay lines like choruses, etc.) to ~20ms at 48 kHz.

--- unquote ---

I am almost sure that the OP wants FFT and more than 32 Kbytes of memry.

Reply to
linnix

just for fun.. take a look at the FV-1 from Spin Semi.

They also have a nifty development board and an IDE which accompanies it.

Elan

Reply to
Elan Magavi

martin griffith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yeah - as luck would have it I hit upon a couple of good search result paths just about the same time that I posted this request - Miss Parker and the 3101 were in there.

Actually, the Miss Parker project is not very far from what I'm looking for (I'm a little embarassed not to have found it before asking) though I had sorta hoped a more monolithic device was available. :-)

Thanks,

-jim

Reply to
foo

"linnix" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

No, not really.

That would be asking an awful lot of a general purpose cpu. For doing any freq-domain work I would assume I'd need a hardware DSP.

I'm looking to do simpler per-sample time domain stuff. It'd still be nice to have a beefy processor and fast memory access to do some "clever shuffling" but that's the most I'd be assuming I'd get - and would be enough.

-jim

Reply to
foo

"Ulf Samuelsson" wrote in news:ekaeee$1cu$1 @aioe.server.aioe.org:

Yeah, that's true. Either DMA + outboard chips or I should re-think my requirements :-)

Honestly - I suspect I could be very happy with 256k. In fact - I'll bet

128k would be fine (80 kHz is almost certainly way overkill anyway.) Not that I'm sure I'll find that either...

-jim

Reply to
foo

One possiblity is an FPGA drving a static ram chip and 12 bits A2D. It's very difficult to make true 16 bits accuracy anyway. Are you sure you need 16 bits?

Reply to
linnix

Buy an eval board for a general purpose DSP like TMS320C55xx or BlackFin EZ Kit lite. To me, there is basically no difference which one to prefer. The boards have all of the hardware that you need, they are flash programmable and can run as a standalone.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

FWIW, the IBM MWave boards used the TMS320 series and the SDK complete with IDE, RTOS, digital scope, C Compiler, Assembler, Debugger, etc. is (was) FREE. Although intended for MS Windows based applications, the kit can be useful for developing stand-alone projects. Modules for audio processing are included in the kit as the targeted applications included soft modems, telephony, codecs, and hifi. Also included are image processing and filter modules. One can find MWave boards of many flavors and busses and the SDK can still be found.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

foo wrote in news:Xns9886A69F68601foobarfoobar@130.81.64.196:

Anybody have any opinions or experiences to share about ADuC7020 family processors?

I've been doing a lot of cell phone programming lately so am real comfortable with ARM7 TDMI cpus and the gcc toolchain for them.

It's all 12-bit, but as has been suggested that's alomost certainly good enough.

-jim

Reply to
foo

12 bits is almost certainly enough, and 80kHz way overkill. I'm assuming you're talking of electric guitar - bear in mind that guitar amps/speakers have no signal content beyond about 8kHz to speak of. (If it's for acoustic, that's a different ballgame, and HiFi would be appropriate.)

Resolution with guitars is mainly a function of the huge dynamic range of the beasties. If you can compand the signal, you'll need way less.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees