Recommendation on USB hub IC for USB memory stick

Hi guys,

I'm looking at ways to update our companies firmware out in the field (it
will mostly be fpga code in .bit format).  A USB memory stick would work
nicely for this.  Do any of you have any recommendations on a
microcontroller that has a USB host core? Or what about USB-OTG?

The port would only use a memory stick, no HID devices, etc.

Thanks

Ron

Re: Recommendation on USB hub IC for USB memory stick

work

Just be warned that the only testing these vendors do is "does it work
with Windows?". I used to have a page bookmarked - I can't find it any
more - that talked of horror stories with various mass-storage devices
- weird noncompliant behavior, and so on.

It's probably a much safer idea to pick a removable flash media
standard, such as SD or CompactFlash, and interface directly to it.

Re: Recommendation on USB hub IC for USB memory stick
Hello Lewin,

Except that these media are more prone to damage in a rough industrial
environment. A USB stick is quite tough, put the cap on and place it in
the shirt pocket or tool box. Even if the cap is lost they can still be
pretty reliable for a while.

For a real rough industrial environment I'd look into coin cell type
memories. The only downside of those is that handling with gloves is
next to impossible and they are so small that they easily become lost.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Site Timeline