Recommendation for Code/Text Editor? - Page 4

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

But PascalP is ISO standard, and accepts it as valid.

--
 Some informative links:
Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

Nope, it never was.

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?
Interesting, I'll have to try compiling that.

By the way, Turbo Pascal is NOT ISO Pascal, as the comments state.

no tabs,
Line
(*O/*_/

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

PascalP handles it:

[1] c:\c\polyglot>pascalp polyglot.c
PASCALP (pasctext, pasclist, prr, ef, output) [parm] V 3.1.9T
   47000     0:d        CuG #(*
                 ****        ^116
116. ** WARNING ** possible unclosed earlier comment

NO. ERRORS=0 WARNINGS=1 Program size(pcode bytes)42%

and generates the following code:

[1] c:\c\polyglot>type polyglot.tic
.PGM POLYGLOT
.MAI POLYGLOT
POLYGLOT:
.ENT 1,@4
.PCL 74
.LCA 'hello polyglots'
.LDCI 15
.LDCI 15
.LDOA -12
.CSP WRS.
.PAR 4
.LDOA -12
.CSP WLN.
.PAR 1
.PCL 80
.STP
@4=0
 END

--
 Some informative links:
Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

I thought you lost PascalP ?

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

I have some executables left.  The source is gone.

--
 Some informative links:
Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?
I'm using CodeWright (http://www.borland.com/codewright /). I haven't
found anything better. Visual Studio is not bad, its biggest problem is
that it's made by Mircosoft. CodeWarrior just sucks.

If you don't wanna pay, you can try kdevelop ...

Toni.

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

If VS is "not bad", then on the same scale, Eclipse is "outstanding".

...and Eclipse is free: http://www.eclipse.org /

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?
Does anyone know if the Watcom IDE editor is available
as a separate, standalone program?

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

It's not just "available" as one, it *is* rather obviously a
standalone program: viw.exe.  That's why its integration with the rest
of the IDE is so mind-bogglingly limited.  The IDE doesn't even manage
to bring the editor window to the front when you double-click a
compiler error, nor can you run "build" on a keypress inside the
editor window!

Why anyone would want viw instead of, say, gvim or ntemacs, though,
evades me ;-)

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

That's a limitation of viw, not of the IDE. I use MED as editor for Watcom,
and it jumps right to to line in error.

Mat Nieuwenhoven

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

It's better then edit?

Where does one find info about gvim and ntemacs?

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

Those are versions of /vi/ and /emacs/.   A few words of
experience (wisdom??) might be in order.

In twenty years, no matter what platform you end up using, there
*will* be a /vi/ and and /emacs/ of some kind.  If you learn one
of them now, in twenty years what you'll have is a *lot* of
experience using an editor that can do anything you want.

Learning any other editor is a waste of time by comparison
because those two are in a class all by themselves.  Basically
once you develop sufficient skill at using one of them, you'll
never have a need to switch to another editor.

The problem then, is which one to use, and getting past the very
steep learning curve that either of them can present.  They are
*very* complex, and after years of use you probably will not
have more than scratched the surface of what either can do.

Hence, try them both for long enough to get some concept of just
how they actually work, then select the one that matches *you*.

/Vi/ has modes, which bothers some people, and doesn't build
much into the editor so much as it allows macros that can do
anything, using external programs.  /Vi/ is less complex at a
minimum, but an experienced user can use just a much complexity
as desired.

/Emacs/ is modeless, but as a result has a very complex set of
key bindings that use Control and Esc key sequences that bother
some people.  Plus it tends to build a lot into the editor
itself (though that is usually done with a "macro language",
which with GNU Emacs and XEmacs is eLisp), making the standard
implementations of Emacs large and complex at a minimum.  But
there are several smaller variations (MicroEmacs, mg, and Jove
for example) for places where the real thing isn't appropriate.

--
Floyd L. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         snipped-for-privacy@barrow.com

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

Including column mode?

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

I don't use it, so I can't tell you how, but yes they  both
have "column" modes.

I personally use XEmacs.  I do often use "picture-mode", which
has a more extensive "column" mode command set than the regular
editing modes that I normally use do.  But I don't use those
facilities often, so while I'm aware that they exist, a tutorial
isn't within my range of ability.  (And vi is virtually a
complete mystery to me, since I simply don't get along with it
at all.)

As for GNU Emacs and XEmacs, and I think that covers the mentioned
ntemacs too, these newsgroups would be helpful,

  comp.emacs
  comp.emacs.xemacs
  gnu.emacs.help

For vi, I don't really know... perhaps comp.editors?

Incidentally, if anyone is interested...  I'm almost finished
with a little project for something I'm calling "embedded emacs"
at the moment.  Specifically the Linksys WRT54G wifi/router runs
Linux on a 200MHz MIPS cpu, and uses "busybox" to provide most
unix utilities, and for an editor it provides vi.  So what I
needed was a little stripped down version of emacs.  I started
with the public domain 3.7 release of MicroEmacs.  It does
things the emacs' way, is small, links against uClibc, doesn't
need ncurses, and is known to work with both MIPS and x86
platforms.  The whole thing is setup for cross compiling, so it
should be fairly easy to port to any target that can be compiled
for on a Linux platform.

The x86 binary is about 50K, the MIPS binary is about 116K,
and both can be made smaller with the easy configuration menu
that allows selectively excluding a couple dozen features.

--
Floyd L. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         snipped-for-privacy@barrow.com

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

[snip]

Not to mention, Emacs has rubber-banding line drawing modes.

And block-diagram-graph-drawing modes.

And it runs over a serial console, so you can *run it* on that
deeply-embedded box you're working on.

cheers, Rich

(Only 10 years Emacs experience so far - newbie).

--
rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | snipped-for-privacy@shadow.org.uk
technical director     251 Liverpool Road   |

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

vim does fold code. I'm a vi/vim acolyte so I don't know about emacs.

RFM

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

Sure.  As I've said before about Emacs: if you want your editor to do
some trick, and Emacs doesn't appear to do it (not even with a
third-party extension package), you're probably trying to do something
silly.

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

Yet, you can do a lot of silly things with Emacs, particularly if you start
getting into extending it yourself significantly.  It's been a fair number
of years since I used Emacs, thankfully, it's been even longer since I've
used vi.

--
Richard

Site Timeline