Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

Can anyone recommend a text editor they are very hapy with (and why)?

I'm tired of both Visual Studio and Metroworks CodeWarrior (for different reasons).

Thanks, Dave.

Reply to
David T. Ashley

I use PFE. It doesn't do all the clever stuff many other editors do, but works well, is fast, and is free.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

In the order of preference: Slickedit, Multiedit, vi.

IMHO, they both suck (for different reasons :)

Vadim

Reply to
Vadim Borshchev

I use Lemmy, a vi for Windows, because I still find that I can turn ideas into text more quickly with vi than with any other editor and because Lemmy is an excellent Windown implementation of vi. Check it out at

          Michael Kesti            |  "And like, one and one don't make
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael R. Kesti

different

I am using Source Insight. This is certainly the best editor you can find. I used both Visual Studio (with Visual Assist) and CodeWarrior - and Source Insight is MUCH MUCH better!!!

look at

shlomi.mor

I really like UltraEdit, especially the ease of dong a search and replace in multiple files, including a CR/LF in a search and replace term, and - most important of all - a really good column mode. Any editor that doesn't have a good column mode isn't really suitable for coding. Other nice features are the insert row of incrementing/decrementing numbers (with/without leading zeros), Sum collumn, and easy conersion between DOS/Mac/Unix formats.

I have been doing more and more Linux programming lately; does anyone know of a good text editor for linux that does collumns well?

Reply to
Guy Macon

Slickedit. It runs in Linux and Windows.

Vadim

Reply to
Vadim Borshchev

gvim . Incredibly powerful. A bit of a learning curve but well worth it:

Larry Gagnon

Reply to
Larry Gagnon

Looks interesting, but unfortunately it's Windows only.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Alan Balmer

Try textpad, available at textpad.com. You can try it as long as you like, and the price is very reasonable. For windoze only, though, so if you want to become system independent you should look at emacs and vim.

--
 Some informative links:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

For Unix-style systems with X, try nedit.

--
Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tauno Voipio

Epsilon, from Lugaru, is the finest programmer's editor available. It has all the power of emacs, but the extension language is C (well, C-like) and

95% of the editor is written in the extension language and available to you. Further, questions to the author are generally answered the same day, if not within an hour.

It's available for linux and Windows, with an older version available for DOS.

--
#include
 _
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Kevin D. Quitt

Nedit doesn't provide any of the analysis features of Source Insight, beyond a ctags interface.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Alan Balmer

David T. Ashley schrieb:

I like the SemWare editor (for DOS) and jEdit (for win and Linux). They are both highly and *easily* configurable and tunable.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Möhrle

You could try the Zeus for Windows programmer's editor/IDE:

Zeus is shareware and as the name suggests Zeus only runs on Windows.

Zeus has many happy users :)

Cheers Jussi

Reply to
Jussi Jumppanen

Another vote for the "modern" implementation of vi: gvim.

In addition to the usual arguments for vi ...

  1. It doesn't rely on function keys or arrow keys or etc. to get the job done, so you can keep your fingers on the home row instead of all over the keyboard.
  2. It doesn't rely on function keys or arrow keys or etc. so you can use it very easily over a serial terminal (when all else fails).
  3. It has a powerful command and macro facility.
  4. The core editor is small, so it will be found on pretty much any platform that has a C compiler.

... the latest generation adds syntax highlighting and "smarts" for languages ranging from Aap to yacc. It also allows (but does not require) staying edit mode and using the usual mouse and function key conventions.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

JEdit is free/open source

Lightweight considering its written in Java Runs under windows/linux + others I like it because it has a good filesystem browser and also has split editing panes. There are lots of plugins too, although I haven't used too many of them.

For screenshots see

I use it mostly for writing c and html.

Regards,

Paul.

--
Remove _rem_ before replying by email.
Reply to

Since no editor war can ever possibly be complete without it, let me name the be-all and end-all of editors: (X)Emacs. Maybe the easiest way of describing it is this: if you want your editor to do something, but find that there's no Emacs support for it at all (not even a third-party Elisp macro), take this as a hint that you're probably trying to do the wrong thing.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

different

There is of course the olden hexadecimal editor with a row of bulbs and toggle and pushbuttons, but is it still in use?

(couldn't resist!)

Reply to
Lanarcam

Real Programmers (TM) use TECO.