Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

Can anyone recommend a text editor they are very hapy with (and why)?

I'm tired of both Visual Studio and Metroworks CodeWarrior (for different
reasons).

Thanks, Dave.

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

I use PFE. It doesn't do all the clever stuff many other editors do, but
works well, is fast, and is free.

Leon

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?
On Mon, 23 May 2005 08:29:54 -0400, David T. Ashley

In the order of preference: Slickedit, Multiedit, vi.

IMHO, they both suck (for different reasons :)

   Vadim

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

I use Lemmy, a vi for Windows, because I still find that I can turn ideas
into text more quickly with vi than with any other editor and because
Lemmy is an excellent Windown implementation of vi.  Check it out at
http://www.softwareonline.org/products.html

          Michael Kesti            |  "And like, one and one don't make
Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

different

I am using Source Insight. This is certainly the best editor you can
find.
I used both Visual Studio (with Visual Assist) and CodeWarrior - and
Source Insight is MUCH MUCH better!!!

look at www.sourceinsight.com

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

Looks interesting, but unfortunately it's Windows only.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

For Unix-style systems with X, try nedit.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?
On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:20:50 GMT, Tauno Voipio

Nedit doesn't provide any of the analysis features of Source Insight,
beyond a ctags interface.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

I really like UltraEdit, especially the ease of dong a search and
replace in multiple files, including a CR/LF in a search and
replace term, and - most important of all - a really good column
mode.  Any editor that doesn't have a good column mode isn't really
suitable for coding.  Other nice features are the insert row of
incrementing/decrementing numbers (with/without leading zeros),
Sum collumn, and easy conersion between DOS/Mac/Unix formats.

I have been doing more and more Linux programming lately; does anyone
know of a good text editor for linux that does collumns well?

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?
On Mon, 23 May 2005 14:36:16 +0000, Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/

Slickedit.  It runs in Linux and Windows.

   Vadim

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?
On Mon, 23 May 2005 14:36:16 +0000, Guy Macon

"The Hessling Editor", an implimentation of the IBM XEDIT editor with
enhancements. Full open source, so available for most OSes one might
use to develop on. Uses REXX as it's script language.

Anton Erasmus

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

gvim . Incredibly powerful. A bit of a learning curve but well worth it:

http://www.vim.org

Larry Gagnon

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

Try textpad, available at textpad.com.  You can try it as long as
you like, and the price is very reasonable.  For windoze only,
though, so if you want to become system independent you should look
at emacs and vim.

--
 Some informative links:
Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?
Epsilon, from Lugaru, is the finest programmer's editor available.  It has
all the power of emacs, but the extension language is C (well, C-like) and
95% of the editor is written in the extension language and available to you.
Further, questions to the author are generally answered the same day, if not
within an hour.

It's available for linux and Windows, with an older version available for
DOS.

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
 _

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?
I like the SemWare editor (for DOS) and jEdit (for win and Linux). They
are both highly and *easily* configurable and tunable.

Gerhard

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

You could try the Zeus for Windows programmer's editor/IDE:

   http://www.zeusedit.com/lookmain.html

Zeus is shareware and as the name suggests Zeus only runs
on Windows.

Zeus has many happy users :)

   http://www.zeusedit.com/awards.html

Cheers Jussi

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?
On Mon, 23 May 2005 08:29:54 -0400, "David T. Ashley"

Another vote for the "modern" implementation of vi: gvim.

In addition to the usual arguments for vi ...
1. It doesn't rely on function keys or arrow keys or etc. to get the job
done, so you can keep your fingers on the home row instead of all over
the keyboard.
2. It doesn't rely on function keys or arrow keys or etc. so you can use
it very easily over a serial terminal (when all else fails).
3. It has a powerful command and macro facility.
4. The core editor is small, so it will be found on pretty much any
platform that has a C compiler.

... the latest generation adds syntax highlighting and "smarts" for
languages ranging from Aap to yacc. It also allows (but does not
require) staying edit mode and using the usual mouse and function key
conventions.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

JEdit is free/open source (www.jedit.org)

Lightweight considering its written in Java
Runs under windows/linux + others
I like it because it has a good filesystem browser and also has split
editing panes. There are lots of plugins too, although I haven't used too
many of them.

For screenshots see http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=screenshots

I use it mostly for writing c and html.

Regards,

Paul.

--
Remove _rem_ before replying by email.

Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

I recommend CodeWright 7.5. It is really powerful.

--
Mike Walters

www.swbox.com
Re: Recommendation for Code/Text Editor?

Since no editor war can ever possibly be complete without it, let me
name the be-all and end-all of editors: (X)Emacs.  Maybe the easiest
way of describing it is this: if you want your editor to do something,
but find that there's no Emacs support for it at all (not even a
third-party Elisp macro), take this as a hint that you're probably
trying to do the wrong thing.