Recommend USB Book?

Can anyone recommend a book for learning about the USB protocols?  I'm not so
much wanting to learn the electrical characteristics of USB so much as the data
stream that goes over the wire.

I found some books at Amazon, but none of them seem to have consistently good
reviews from the readers.  I hate to buy bad technical books.  I don't know
which to get.  Maybe you can tell me which of these is the best, or suggest a
book I don't list.

Usually I depend on the book reviews at http://www.accu.org/ but they don't
seem to have covered any USB books yet.

I know I need to read the protocol specification but specs aren't usually very
tutorial, and often don't say much about the reasons behind anything.

I need something that covers USB 2.0 as well as the older standard.  If a
particular book only covered the old standard but was very good, I'd get that
along with anything that covered the new standard.

Here's the books I found at (Amazon.com product link shortened)/:

USB Complete: Everything You Need to Know to Develop Custom USB Peripherals, by
Jan Axelson, ISBN 0965081958

USB Design by Example, by John Hyde, ISBN 0471370487

Universal Serial Bus System Architecture (2nd Edition), by Don Anderson, Dave
Dzatko, Mindshare Inc. ISBN 0201309750

Developing USB PC Peripherals by Wooi Ming Tan, 0929392647

USB Hardware and Software, by John Garney, Edward Solari, Kosar Jaff, Brad
Hosler, Shelagh Callahan, ISBN 092939237X

Thanks for your help,

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford
Re: Recommend USB Book?

so
data
good
know
suggest a
don't
very
that
Peripherals, by
Dave

Hello Mike

I can only help you in the negative:

I have the first two books and I do not recommend them, the Axelson is by
far the better of the two. You will learn far more from the spec and serious
mining in Microsoft resources and the app notes of every chip maker you can
find.
I just took a look at your web site and so I apologise for the M word.

Michael Kellett
snipped-for-privacy@mkesc.co.uk

Re: Recommend USB Book?

[...]

[...]

I read the first edition Mindshare book by Anderson a few years back
when I was working on my first USB project.  You probably couldn't
design a system from it if it was your sole resource, but it's clearly
written, and I think it has the information you're looking for (frame
formats and so on).

I've never seen the Solari book, but judging from his PCI book (parts
of which I've read), it will have a lot of material, but will require
a lot of a priori knowledge.

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: Recommend USB Book?
data

Go buy USB Complete and USB Design By Example and you will be covered
as well as you can be when it comes to USB books.

As you mentioned (and others commented), these books are not a
replacement for the USB 2.0 spec nor hardware data sheets.  But, they
are very helpful and most serious USB developers will have one or both
on the shelf.

You probably want to use the USB-IF Developers Discussion Forum for
further USB questions:

http://www.usb.org/phpbb /

Start by searching for "Jan Axelson" and "John Hyde" and you'll find
them both to be active contributors.

Ryan

Site Timeline