Recommend a CAN Connector

I'm working on a project which is going to use a custom protocol based
on CAN.  CAN doesn't specify any particular connector, so I'm trying
to choose one.  Any recommendations?  The connector should have at
least four pins for CAN-L, CAN-H, CAN-power, and CAN-ground.

Re: Recommend a CAN Connector

We used to use 9-pin D-sub connectors for low-speed (up to 250kbit) CAN
work, the sort of thing that you'd use for RS232 ports. Easy to source
connectors!

I guess you could try 5-pin DIN too. Again easy to source.

pete
--
snipped-for-privacy@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

Re: Recommend a CAN Connector

The industry standard seems to be 9-pin Sub-D connectors (male side on
the transceiver module, female on the bus cable), wired like this:

2: CAN-L
3: ground
7: CAN-H

Re: Recommend a CAN Connector

you have to look at the CanOpen spec.what includes physical (and
application) layer and suggests diffrent connectors and their physical
dimensions. CAN Documents from Bosch only define the layers in the middle
what contain bit stuffing, error correction ....

Re: Recommend a CAN Connector
On 2 Feb 2004 06:47:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Embedded Matt)

If you have no particular need to meet a particular physical interface
specification, and board space is at a premium, consider using CAT5
Ethernet Cable.  It actually works quite well.  With eight wires, you
can have multiple power and grounds for long runs.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

CANopen connector spec DS303-1 is available at
http://www.can-cia.de/downloads/ciaspecifications /
Many of the describd connectors are commonly used, not only with CANopen.
Anyhow besides suggesting CANopen connectors, I suggest using CANopen as
well instead of home crown protocols (of course I do).

Regards
 Heinz

http://www.can-wiki.info
http://www.port.de