Rebooting

Hi,

I am running an application in RAM . This application un-tar's a 'files.tar' file and puts the un-tarred files in the FLASH memory of my board. After this, my application clears the flash memory in 2 minutes and makes the FLASH Memory empty . Now, the application onceagain un-tars the 'files.tar' file . The files are placed in the FLASH Memory by the application and the whole of the above operation continues onceagain.

But, after 10 or 15 times(random number of times) of repeating the above operation, i find that the board reboots.

What could be the possible reason ? and methods of analysis for this ? I use Dosfs (Filesystem) with VxWorks . Is this in any way related with some Dosfs Filesystem APIs stack corruption/overwrite or oher possible lowlevel Dosfs filesystem problem ? Is there any problem with un-tarring facility coming with Dosfs or the Program Counter getting corrupted while using dosfs utilities ?

Clarify me.

Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbg

first thought.. is the amount of available memory for this equal or close to the amount of memory used for the untar each time * 15?

Reply to
Elan Magavi

After every tar, i find that the amount of remaining free space in flash memory is same. I think, the filesystem clears/resets its counter correctly, so that after untarring it points to the correct amount of free space available in Flash Memory.

So, it is really strange that it breaks sometime (after fewtimes of application execution ) suddenly. Any ideas / suggestions ?

Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbg

Hard to guess. At least it is repeatable! Best of luck.

Reply to
Elan Magavi

Hi, Got some info to share. That may be due to interrupts & stack . One of the possible ways to analyse this could be as below :

When an ISR causes an exception, there is no safe recourse for the system to handle the exception. The ISR has no context that can be suspended. Instead,VxWorks stores the description of the exception in a special location in low memory and executes a system restart. The VxWorks boot ROMs test for the presence of the exception description in low memory and if it is detected, display it on the system console. The e command in the boot ROMs re-displays the exception description.

Regards, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbg