reasons for preferring C over C++

try putting that in a loop "For first, to last, step next"

compare with:

for (i=1; i< sizeof(array); i++) array[i]...

It's unintelligible to someone who hasn't seen it before (as I will admit is the C version, but the set who have seen it before is 100 times bigger)

.

No, I mean,

big deal that it save me from typing:

if (i < sixzeof(arrayname))

will it?

do you really think that type mismatches is the bulk of my debugging a real time program.

You don't think that they are swamped 100 fold by event synchronisation problems?

except that IME of working on genuine projects, ability at C++ programming in real world use does not correlate with whether you know all the new features of the latest standard.

I've worked with so really good people who coded entirely to the 99 version

OTOH, I've recently worked with someone who could (more or less) quote you the complete set of additions in the '11 standard (and explain why they were there). Yet he was CFU when it came to actually coding a solution to a problem

your choice

tim

Reply to
tim.....

char *

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Given the number of things built on top of that primitive, I'll interpret that as an implicit "no" :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

C character string support is as brain dead as FORTRAN IV character support :-), completely relying on libraries and 3A4 style FORMAT statements.

Fortran 5 is of course usable.

Reply to
upsidedown

On the plus side, at least C doesn't have Hollerith constants. :-)

Simon.

Simon Clubley