Really confused by my debugger.

I recently purchased a clone Microchip PIC debugger from some Chinese
importer http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/Items/006401-001? (bad idea
probably, I know).

I set it all up, it programs perfectly and does a POST fine. The
problem is with debugging. I hit the 'program' button on MPLAB, the
PIC is programmed fine but I get an 'ICD0083' error (cannot enter the
debug mode on the chip).

I've gone through all of the Microchip manuals and the machine
translated instruction page from the supplier:
http://www.nbglin.com/icd2.htm and can't see what's wrong.

I'm using a PIC16F876a with an external oscillator which is running
fine. The _DEBUG_ON configuration bit is set and I'm using the example
code from the NBGLIN site.

I'm kinda lost for ideas now - for the last few days I've been
searching forums and newsgroups for an answer. I would be very
greatful for some help.

TIA
Brendan Gillatt
www.brendangillatt.co.uk
GPG: 0x6E265E61

Re: Really confused by my debugger.

When I have had problems like this, I found that there was a problem with
the connections of the debugger or programmer signals, and resultant poor
signal quality. You should look at the clock and data lines, and also Vpp,
to make sure the logic levels are good and transitions are fast and clean.
Sometimes this is due to a component like a capacitor or resistor on those
lines, but I also had a problem where there was contamination and leakage
on the board.

Paul

Re: Really confused by my debugger.

Thanks - I'll have a look for those. =]
Brendan Gillatt
www.brendangillatt.co.uk
GPG: 0x6E265E61

Re: Really confused by my debugger.
On Thu, 24 May 2007 17:14:40 +0100, Brendan Gillatt

Mmm, all seems fine there. I'll post to the Piclist later if I don't
find what's up. Thanks for the help anyway.
--
Brendan Gillatt
www.brendangillatt.co.uk

Site Timeline