Real-time graphics display Windows or Linux

Hi All,

I want to display the real-time data using OpenGL and is woundering if Windows 2000 Pro on PIV is good enough for such task. The uptime required for the system is 1000 hours. Once I read somewhere that there is a conflict between windows internal colck and CPU that causes a need for reboot the system. Due to this clock synchronization problem W2K machine have to be rebooted after some days ( I dont remember the exact figures). Please advise me which OS should I choose in real-time graphics display. If there is any other issue with W2K or Linux, please tell me that I'd be able to select a better solution.

Thanks

Reply to
Sarah Michael

"Sarah Michael" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

FWIW, I have heard of people who haven't had to reboot a Linux server for months. So the uptime in that OS won't be a problem. Having read several discussions here about real-time in the past, I guess the real experts will want You to specify what Your idea about "real-time" is.

Rene

Reply to
René

For Windoze!! Sounds of uncontrollable hysterical laughter.

     USE worldnet address!
Reply to
CBFalconer

CBFalconer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com:

Chuck, that's only about 42 days. My Win2k box is on 24/7/365. Sometimes I reboot when I get an updated driver but that's at my discretion. Same goes for my XP box at home.

--
- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

I assume that you are referring to the fact that the GetTickCount API returns the time since startup as milliseconds in a 32 bit unsigned integer, which starts over from 0 every 49th day and some badly written applications behaves badly, when this happens.

In a well controlled environment (such as a stand alone system with only selected software and hardware) it is not a problem to run Windows NT/2000 based systems for months.

However, if the Windows computer is directly connected to the internet, it usually takes less than 1000 hours for someone to infect it with a new virus. If the computer is not infected within 1000 hours, Microsoft will usually publish a critical security patch within

1000 hours, which requires a reboot :-).

When Microsoft introduced the Win2000, it declared that any installation requiring a reboot is faulty, however, these myriads of security patches seem to require a reboot ....

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

My W98 box is also often up for two weeks or more. After that things get iffy. However I also know not to run various things, including Windows Explorer, or I will experience a BSOD or 'This program has done something bad...' much sooner. The 'various things' include most Microsoft applications, or opening too many windows, etc. Meanwhile the swapping file grows indefinitely for no discernable reason.

     USE worldnet address!
Reply to
CBFalconer

Uptime of many months is quite common for Linux boxes. In fact, the Linux system on which I'm typing this message currently shows an uptime of 51 days. It would have been longer, but I was tinkering inside a few months ago, adding a video capture card.

Probably more useful would be to simply drop the phrase "real-time" and describe what is really wanted using non-technical terms (i.e. in the language of users.) I've found that this is a really useful way to get at the real essentials of the problem, even when (or perhaps especially when) engineers are talking among themselves.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Beroset

Followup to: By author: Ed Beroset In newsgroup: comp.arch.embedded

a *VERY* high load Linux server, regularly gets uptimes measured in months or years. Last time it was rebooted was May 26, 2004, and that was for a kernel upgrade. In fact, ALL the reboots of the machine in the last two years have been upgrades or, in one case, a colo move.

-hpa

Reply to
H. Peter Anvin

Short life then.

Let me know when you get something out of M$ that has been proven to run for over 219150 continuous hours without upgrade, fault or mistake.

Don't see BSOD's anymore since migrating away from MS products on my desk. My embedded systems do not often sport screens of any size. They are usually just a black box on the end of a comms link.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 .........NOW AVAILABLE:- HIDECS COURSE......
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095 .... see http://www.feabhas.com for details.
Paul E. Bennett

Hi,

Thanks all for giving your time. Well I am trying to figure out the appropriate OS, from one of the two I mentioned, for live signal display of wireless phones. There are different kinds of displays that can be switched upon the user's choice. The display contains complex Graphs and linear curves. The system should be stable enough to process the normalized signal and display it as it comes/available. Any advise related to this scenario is very much welcome.

Thanks

Reply to
Sarah Michael

Followup to: By author: sara snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Sarah Michael) In newsgroup: comp.arch.embedded

Sounds like Linux should fit your needs just fine.

-hpa

Reply to
H. Peter Anvin