ready to run 32bit controller

Hello,

does anybody know a more powerful Atmel AVR pendant? Is there any 32bit controller that can make a LED blink with only controller, battery, resistor, LED?

thanks very much

Paul

Reply to
Paul Geisler

Yes.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Your question is a bit vague. Do you mean a controller for which you have to provide no development system or software, no programming device, or power supply regulator?

Then there's the whole question of why one would specify a

32-bit controller to blink a LED.

If you want a 32-bit controller that can blink a LED and do a LOT more go to

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

Using a 555 timer, you should be able to make something flashy for about 4 dollars. (hint: USD 0.25 = 2 bits).

RCIngham

What 32 bit controller can't do that? The real question is why the f*ck do you think you need to do 32 bit math to blink an LED? Want a flash rate measured in years between flashes? An 8 bit controller will do that too given the onchip program space of even the smallest ones.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

He wasn't asking for a quartz, so maybe really wanted to know if there are 32bit controllers that can run w/o such. If so: Yes. Even 64Bit :-)

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)

Try the TI/Luminary parts. They use an ARM thumb-only core and come in pretty small packages -- I'd be mildly surprised if they wouldn't run off of an internal oscillator. TI probably indexes them under "ARM Cortex" or something like that.

Ditto Microchip, and their PIC24 parts (which are really 32 bit processors, AFAIK).

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Yes, some (all?) of them have a (lousy) internal oscillator (+/-30% accuracy for the LM3S8962) A lot of them _require_ external parts for internal LDOs (maybe just a cap) and that sort of thing, some even have/had an external (passive) RC filter for the PLL.

16-bit, actually.

I'd suggest looking at the Cortex M0 parts, as they are more aimed at small systems. NXP has some with calibrated oscillator and no separate core power supply. Cheap (< $2 in small quantities).

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Hasn't NXP just announced a 8-pin Cortex-M0 part ? That's 32Bit with 6 GPIOs.

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
Use @monlynx.de instead !
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

I presume you allow a decoupling capacitor ? ;)

If you are serious about 'battery' and don't want more parts, then you'll need a wide-supply 32 bit core, and that suddenly shrinks the field.

Energy Micro claim 1.8-3.8V Vcc range, in small packages.

NXP mention 1.8-3.6V on the LPC11xx

Nuvoton have some Cortex M0's in rollout, that claim 2.5-5.5V - nice to have a low end 32 bit, that is PowerMOSFET compatible !!

Their tools/boards roadmap looks comprehensive, see

-jg

Reply to
-jg

What the heck for? Setting aside why anyone in a sane state of mind would use an entire micro controller just to blink an LED, when two transistors and bit of chicken-feed would do the job with a good deal less hassle: how could one ever, remotely, need a "more powerful" one?

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

For a pendant that can leave third degree burns?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I would like to know what "pendant" means in this context !!!

If the OP is still around, what is your pendant ??

Have you seen others like the one you want ??

If so, please post a link.

Thank You

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Being from Germany like the OP, I'm sure this got burnt in translation. German has the word "Pendant" (taken from French and pronounced accordingly), which means "counterpart" or "equivalent". I.e. he's looking for a chip to use in place of an AVR.

How an AVR might fail to be sufficiently powerful for that job however still defies comprehension.

Suffice it to say it's quite certainly not a necklace.

[digression]There are three different French words all spelled "pendant" and pronounced exactly the same. English took the adjective that means "hanging", and turned it into a noun that means, among other things, "necklace". German stole the noun that means "counterpart". I don't know who got away with the third one, a preposition that means "while". [/digression]
Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

Thank you for that.

Learn something new everyday.

I am sure this thread will take an interesting turn.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton