Read values in RAM chip via computer

I need a tool where I read the values that exist on a RAM chip on an
embedded circuit board.

I would prefer a simple expansion board where I can plug the ram chip
in, then cable it to the embedded board.   Plug serial / USB / or
network cable (prefered) in, and read the values at any time.

Anyone recommend or know of a simple product like this?
Thanks,
Brian Smith

Re: Read values in RAM chip via computer

The easy answer is no, nothing quite like that.

OTOH, assuming size, pinout and timing work, you
could possibly find a battery-backed sram chip
like STi makes, plug it into the circuit, get your
values, unplug it, and read it out.

If you tell us what you're trying to do with a
little more detail, we might be able to help you
more.

Re: Read values in RAM chip via computer

I  think he is asking for the equivalent of a ROM emulator,
although with the pinout of an SRAM.
For this to work, it should be implemented using a Treu Dual Port SRAM.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson.

Re: Read values in RAM chip via computer

Logic Analyzer?

Wim

Re: Read values in RAM chip via computer

Not quite what you want, but the Dataman S4 ...

http://www.dataman.com/S4.html

... is a useful tool.

Al.

Re: Read values in RAM chip via computer
Could you put the main CPU into reset, hence tri-stating it's I/O lines,
then make up something to read the data out of the SRAM?? or do you want to
read it in real time??

If you can reset the CPU maybe you could make something up with a PIC to
read the data back...

dual port SRAM ram would probably work well too, if you could find one
similar, which could be wired to the system your using. mayabe make up
"daughter board" that will connect to the existing SRAM socket and you can
connect a PC onto.