Read keyboard language throught USB

Hello all, I have not big experience with USB so I'm not sure this question makes sense but let me try to ask ... :-) I'm wondering if (and how of course...) could be possible to read the keyboard language (eg EN,IT, ...) and OS type installed in a personal computer throught USB keyboard or keypad device. I need this to realize a sort of auto setup of function keys.

Thanks for any help.

Luis

Reply to
Luis

No, not exactly. You'd have to write a custom driver that pushes this information to the keyboard.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Op Fri, 29 May 2009 13:27:49 +0200 schreef Luis :

The USB Device Class Definition for Human Interface Devices (HID) Version

1.11 does indeed define a separate field in the device descriptor for the country code of localized hardware. However, its use is not required.

Why would the keyboard care about this?

Your application should be able to figure out the OS type installed.

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

=A0

=A0

The OP wants something going the other way. He doesn't want to tell the OS he's a French keyboard, he wants the OS to tell him "I'm French" so he can automatically set up the key bindings.

I am guessing for something like an Optimus Maximus keyboard, with software-programmable key legends. Or simply for the correct language for real-language words bound to the F-keys.

Reply to
zwsdotcom
Reply to
Brendan Gillatt