Re: Wireless/powerline comms, short distance, 100 nodes

>> Hello NG, >> >> In a machine we currently use up to 100 nodes (most installations use under >> 64 though) on a CAN bus. These nodes are moving along rails and are >> connected with wire loops. For ease of installation (and node replacement) >> and cleaning up the wire tangle, we are investigating a wireless or power >> line system. The 24V DC power can be supplied with sliding contacts but >> due to space restrictions it is not easy to add more contacts for >> communications. >> > >Powerline communication on a closed system is doable. FSK modulation >in the 100kHz range gives excellent results also on a bigger systems. > >You should come up with some information regarding the system size in >mete r& squaremeter, the required datarate and the responsetime. >

Each rail (there are 2) is about 2 metres long, the ends are close together and from there, there is 2-3 metres of cable to the control cabinet. If needed, the powerline interface could be mounted close to the rails, but the preferred location would be in the cabinet.

Required datarate is 2400 - 9600 bps. One of the operations is a sync cycle that is currently handled by a separate hardwired signal to all modules. The response here is in the us range and this is obviously not possible through the powerline comms. I can compensate for a longer time as long as the delay is fixed. I might be able to relief the jitter requirement by changing/elaborating the sync cycle if needed.

Most other commands require a response within 10 - 100ms. All commands are only a few bytes long (2 - 5).

Women are just like men, only different.
Reply to
Stef

Hello Stef,

2400-9600 bps per node? I think that won't fly via powerline, at least not in a noisy industrial environment.

I would consider an ISM band transmitter for the (hopefully few) signals that require microsecond response times.

With that much allowed latency you could consider WLAN for these channels. It provides lots of bandwidth for your data rates. Then there is Bluetooth, spread spectrum such as used by upscale cordless phones etc. Best is to stick with something that has already undergone agency certification for other uses. Otherwise this project could become quite expensive.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

No, not per node, in total. Most commands are broadcast, like: "All nodes perform function A". Then there is some configuration and status checking that needs to be done per node, but this can be relatively slow and uses a request/reply protocol.

I have a very small mind and must live with it.
		-- E. Dijkstra
Reply to
Stef

Hello Stef,

Then it could be done via the power line but in a noisy environment I still would not do that. You could send all this via a simple RF link. For example, assume you had a cordless phone on the carriage and another one on the floor. Via a modem you could now send all that data. This may be a bit over-simplified and whether or not a spread spectrum phone would work would have to be checked. You could use one of the Texas Instruments or Nordic transceivers.

Also, think about IR for simplicity. If pointed upwards to a diffuse reflector it could work. It's a matter of power and efficiency. Once in a hotel I could not believe it when the remote for the TV would still work when held at the ceiling instead of the TV. So I went into the bathroom and pointed it at the hallway wall. The IR had to bounce at least three times to get to the TV. It still worked.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

It is a separate 24VDC powerline, but it has up to 100 DC motors on it and there are sliding contacts. So it will be noisy.

Would you advise RF in a noisy environment? That does not seem logical to me. Can these phone tranceivers handle up to 100 simultanious connections or would I need to switch on one at the time? If one at the time, how fast can I expect to scan all nodes?

Yes, IR is on the list of candidates.

What foods these morsels be!
Reply to
Stef

Hello Stef,

Was on a biz trip, this one w/o NG access.

That is noisy but you can slide ferrite beads and stuff over the supply leads.

Above a GHz you won't see much of the DC motor noise anymore. Simultaneous xmit/rec isn't feasible since that would usually require

100 modules. Polling could be done in milliseconds per node. You'd have to talk with the folks from Nordic or another manufacturer to find the most cost efficient modules for your requirements.

It's the same with all other protocols, even powerline. You can only poll one at a time or you would need 100 carriers and receivers. Theoretically you could send out on various frequencies and have a DSP figure out all those carriers. But at a hundred that would be a huge DSP job.

And it may be the most cost efficient candidate if you can make it work.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg