Re: Towards better embedded software (long)(was: Re: Where does C++ fit in?) - Page 4

Re: Towards better embedded software (long

Construction industry.  Contracts routinely have what the
contractors call the "murder clause" which says it's the
contractor's responsibility to correct any design errors
or omissions at no additional cost to owner.

Re: Towards better embedded software (long)

   OTOH efficiency measures do save time.  We don't call it
corner-cutting until we've found out it didn't work.

        Regards.        Mel.

Re: Towards better embedded software (long)(was: Re: Where does C++ fit in?)
On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:20:40 +0100, "Steve at fivetrees"
I hope you're right.

Pieter

Re: Towards better embedded software (long)(was: Re: Where does C++ fit in?)
On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 22:01:22 +0100, Chesney Christ

I am one of the people who cleaned up others people mess for Y2K! For
a very big company over here...so that mess was good software for me
(at least for my bankaccount).

All my software has been tested and approved! I never ever used 2
digits, the idea alone.

There always have been good and bad programmers. The first software I
even had to work on (still as a student) was a TurboPascal 3.x
application: I will never forget that. Really learnt me how NOT to do
it. It has 37 procedures. The people who programmed it probably did
not know how to use parameters. And all data was global. All variables
were abbreviated. There was no documentation (they told me they were
afraid the competition might get a copy of it). All procedure were
called Proc1 to Proc37 (yes. there were 37 procedures). Horrible. It
even did RS232 communication. I had to 'spy' the rs232 communication
to find out how the protocol worked. Took me months to build they same
software as it should heva been in the first place.

So indeed generalisations are not good. I still see good people. But I
also see a lot of people just gluing things together, trying 'does it
work' and then it ok to them. I for example always check ALL boundarys
(calculating algorithmes tested for highest and lowest input, and 0 on
critical points, check array pointers twice etc.).

Pieter

Re: Towards better embedded software (long)(was: Re: Where does C++ fit in?)

My first post-college job was as part of an I.T" group.  Part of my
job was maintaining system admin tools.  A set of these were really
horrible Pascal programs.  After laughing at one particularly bad
segment of code, one of the managers said "yep, Dave really loved
Pascal, too bad he didn't know how to program in it".

--
Darin Johnson
    My shoes are too tight, and I have forgotten how to dance -- Babylon 5

Re: Towards better embedded software (long)(was: Re: Where does C++ fit in?)
CMM is the latest way to go. It does not describe how to build the
software, but how the process building performs. How people work
together, make documents, reviews etc.

Pieter Hoeben
http://www.hoeben.com

Site Timeline