http://www.dontronics.com/auto.html
and
http://www.dontronics.com/dt006.html
may be of interest.

--
Don McKenzie  E-mail:    http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html
              Home Page: http://www.dontronics.com

Re: Some questions on embedded systems
I can highly recommend Don's AVR dev boards. They are well priced and
he gives great service. His web pages are good places to start. As you
have some C programming experience, you could use (for programming
AVR's);
AVRGCC http://www.avrfreaks.com
or
Imagecraft http://www.imagecraft.com/software
as your cross compilers.

For java you could look at
The Javelin Stamp http://www.parallax.com
or
JStamp http://www.systronix.com/jstamp

For an overview on microcontrollers (if you require one), start with
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/microcontroller-faq/primer /
I found good tutorials at
http://www.8052.com
http://www.hkrmicro.com/course/micro.html

If you like learning from books, look for ones by Myke Predko (a
personal favourite), Claus Kuhnel,& John Morton.

Not to mention the vast amount of resources that can be found on the
net.

Regards,
Paul

Re: Some questions on embedded systems
Thanks Don and Paul for your inputs. I hope to get started very soon!

--
RBK.

snipped-for-privacy@adelaide.on.net (Paul Howard) wrote in message
Re: Some questions on embedded systems

Java Micor Edition is confusing collection (about on dozen) of Java subsets
definition by Sun. It started out for embedded devices and no is VERY
focused on mobil phones.

The restrictions of Java are two fold:
The JVM (Java Virtual Machine) does not have to support all language
features (e.g. no floationg point or in the Java Card definition you can
even drop support for (32-bit) int).
The second restriction is the reduction of the (large) class library. In
standard Java the library is part of the language definition (for this
'write once, debug anywhere'), but you probaly don't need Swing support on
an embedded device.

But as stated above: The definitions of Sun are not perfect for embedded
devices. Best starting place would be CLDC 1.0.

Martin
JOP - a Java Processor core for FPGAs:
http://www.jopdesign.com /

Site Timeline