Re: sense heart rate with pic processor?

bsd snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I would like to make a small device to monitor my exercise. > > I would like it to be able to track my heart rate during my entire > workout. The devices at the club are worn out, don't work, and > don't give you a nice report about how your heart rate progressed. > > And I think this would be a fun project! > > Any idea how to get started with this? > What could I use to sense my pulse? > > Thanks a lot for any ideas.

For $89 USD you can get a Polar S-120 HRM watch. It will work well from the moment you put it on. Why re-invent the wheel? Want more data and computer connection? Get one of the bigger Polar HRM watches.

--
- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

Have a look at (veteran analog IC designer) Jim Thompson's web page. There's a file called earpulse.pdf in Jim's schematics/SED section that describes an earlobe pickup design that reportedly works regardless of skin color etc.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

There's some fun in reinvention.

Reply to
Brett

"Brett" wrote in news:bf163e$9vrhn$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-184277.news.uni-berlin.de:

To be sure. However, ECG instrumentation amps, micros, packaging, etc. doesn't sound like too much fun. I'd buy, not build on this one. I2C bus analyzer or 9-bit to 8-bit serial converter - build.

--
- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

I agree. You can do it with a pic that has an 8-12 bit ADC, an instrumentation op amp, and some method of connection to the skin. No big deal.

OTOH, for your actual application, see Polar HRMs :)

Reply to
Bruce

I would at least get the Polar chest-transmitter unit (as a replacement item it's a lot cheaper than a whole monitor), it gives a magnetic signal (a few cycles of about 1kHz) for each heartbeat. You can then use a coil to pick up the signal.

Here's a good online dealer:

Ben Bradley