Re: sense heart rate with pic processor?

bsd snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike) wrote in

For $89 USD you can get a Polar S-120 HRM watch. It will work well from
the moment you put it on. Why re-invent the wheel? Want more data and
computer connection? Get one of the bigger Polar HRM watches.

--
- Mark ->
--

Re: sense heart rate with pic processor?
On 15 Jul 2003 06:26:47 -0700, the renowned bsd snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Have a look at (veteran analog IC designer) Jim Thompson's web page.
There's a file called earpulse.pdf in Jim's schematics/SED section
that describes an earlobe pickup design that reportedly works
regardless of skin color etc.

http://www.analog-innovations.com/

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: sense heart rate with pic processor?

There's some fun in reinvention.

Re: sense heart rate with pic processor?

To be sure. However, ECG instrumentation amps, micros, packaging, etc.
doesn't sound like too much fun. I'd buy, not build on this one. I2C bus
analyzer or 9-bit to 8-bit serial converter - build.

--
- Mark ->
--

Re: sense heart rate with pic processor?
In comp.arch.embedded

I agree.  You can do it with a pic that has an 8-12 bit ADC, an
instrumentation op amp, and some method of connection to the skin.  No big
deal.

OTOH, for your actual application, see Polar HRMs :)

Re: sense heart rate with pic processor?

   I would at least get the Polar chest-transmitter unit (as a
replacement item it's a lot cheaper than a whole monitor), it gives a
magnetic signal (a few cycles of about 1kHz) for each heartbeat. You
can then use a coil to pick up the signal.

   Here's a good online dealer:

http://www.sarkproducts.com /