Re: Python for Embedded Devices?

Yes.

And no.  Yes, Python is certainly feasible for current
cellular telephones.  I don't see it poised for explo-
sive growth there, but neither for technical defects
nor because of any lack of good wishes on my part.
'Twould thrill me to write more Python on embedded
projects.

The one point I'd emphasize when thinking about this
is that "embedded devices" covers a wide range, as I
believe you already know.  Some developers commonly
work with hardware that's far, far more constrained
than are cellular telephones; others, who also program
embedded devices, can't be distinguished from vanilla
Linux coders.
--

Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net

Re: Python for Embedded Devices?

I am one such developer who works with very small systems: 8-bit
micros with under 128K flash and 4K RAM. I am keenly interested in
Python or some other similar langauge that would run on such hardware.
'C' is the usual language for such environments, but I believe that,
in many cases, using a dynamic and 'object-able' language would reduce
development time and improve product quality significantly.

I've looked at Io, Lua, PyMite and Pippy, to name a few, and none are
quite appropriate. Io is perhaps the closest match, if it were
stripped down a lot.

I have been tinkering around with some ideas to make a new language to
fit the environment I deal with. This is slow work, as I haven't a lot
of time to spend on it, and I am not a language design expert, but I'm
having fun with it!

Re: Python for Embedded Devices?
Hello Phil,

Have you looked at tinyscheme? It a full scheme interpreter in one C file.
http://tinyscheme.sourceforge.net/home.html

Maybe you can work with Fredrik Lundh on Pytte (http://effbot.org/zone/pytte.htm )

HTH.
Miki

Re: Python for Embedded Devices?

Re: Python for Embedded Devices?
What about cases where the OS shields you from porting issues?

This is a question which interests me at the moment, as I'm
considering some future embedded work.

Python is available as a package for NetBSD. To what extent
does this mean that, if you can install NetBSD, you can run
a Python interpreter?

http://www.netbsd.org celebrates the fact that it targets
SBCs and some handheld devices.

Has anyone out there any experience of Python on NetBSD on embedded platforms?

Here's hoping,

Dave.

Re: Python for Embedded Devices?
            .
            .
            .
I'm quite confident that a good NetBSD installation will be
able to run (core) Python nicely.  Was that your question?
While I haven't used NetBSD myself on any interesting hard-
ware, all my experience tells me the combination will be
robust.
--

Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net

Re: Python for Embedded Devices?

Would you be willing to spend a sentence or two describing what basic
problems you feel each of those has for your application?

-Peter

Site Timeline