Re: New Project Needs a uC

> Required Features: > * At least industrial temperature range. > * 16- or 32-bit architecture. > * Proven winner in the marketplace/large installed base/good > tools/likely long life. > * Expandable bus > > Nice to Have: > * Flat memory map. > * At least 128k flash. > * At least 10k SRAM. > * Background debugging > * 256 bytes of EEPROM > * Integrated USB slave controller. > * Integrated CAN controllers > * Integrated UARTs > > NOT important: > * Unit cost. > * Price of tools. > * RTOS availability. > * Speed (MIPS). > > I'm considering Renesas (Mitsubishi) M16C and Renesas (Hitachi) H8/S > already. Any other suggestions are very much appreciated.

I would suggest that you take a look at the various ARM MCUs available. They are made by many manufacturers and so provide a lot of variety of form and function. Unfortunately, not many have on chip Flash. But a few do, such as Hynix, Atmel (dual die) and, my current favorite, OKI. Atmel may well have one that meets all of your needs.

OKI has parts with all of the above, but I am not sure if they have it all in one chip. Finding USB *and* CAN in one chip may be hard.

Philips has some new parts, but no external bus. They opted for a very small footprint instead.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

Doesn't quite have everything you are looking for, but close - the Fujitsu

16 bit microcontrollers.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Mason

Hello Matt,

Infineon XC167 (or related parts) - has everything except USB and the new XC parts have on chip debug. Good tools from Keil and Hitex. look on

Michael Kellett

mk

Motorolas HCS12 Family - DP256 has 265kbyte (banked) Flash 12kSram, 4kEeprom and all other features except USB. You can connect external USB controller by I2C serial bus. In comparison to the Infineon Version 2 core chips the Motorola comes with on chip voltage regulator for the core while Infineon needs external core regulation. Further the crystal oscillator is Colpitts circuit instead Pierce what has very low standby power in sleep mode. (This is what makes the realtime clock support of the Infineon difficult to use). Debug Interface is BDM instead OCDS at Infineon. Cables and compilers for Motorola available by

HCS12 is a 16 bit bus design while code density is 8 bit, Infineon is a true 16 bit Opcode with lower code density.

Benefits of Infineon are the plain address and the DSP like coprozessor MAC (Multiply Accumulate Unit). Therefore the HCS offers HW fuzzy support with assembly level instructions.

Reply to
Jürgen Veith