Re: Looking for LCD display with serial interface.

Try http://www.earthlcd.com/serial_lcd.htm

-Z

Re: Looking for LCD display with serial interface.

Anton,

Take a look at http://www.tern.com/smartlcd_c.htm

The only problems might be in the graphics libraries, but the image
buffer is mapped directly into memory space... you should be able to
find a number of open-souce code that allows you to draw lines/circles
by twiddling bytes.

Re: Looking for LCD display with serial interface.

Get a used laptop.

This is more expensive than a used laptop.

Re: Looking for LCD display with serial interface.

Sorry, I thought it was $299.  Correction, get it new low end laptop.

He only wants one.

He wants it for display of testing result.  I don't think he wants to
do road testing.

Perhaps for other users, but not for him, not in this case.

Re: Looking for LCD display with serial interface.

I believe he wants it to display test data. Read his post from today
responding to Frank Bemelman. So Lewin's point to use a crusty old laptop
makes a lot of sense.

Re: Looking for LCD display with serial interface.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I must say that I am quite
surprised at the lack of these type of products. In essence I am
looking for the equivalent of an ANSI terminal, that uses an LCD
in stead of a CRT, without the keyboard.
The asked for graphics capability would be a bonus.
There are a fair number of development type boards, mostly ARM or
x86 based that has an LCD display as well. It is not a big issue for
me to actually have to write some terminal emulation code, I just
thought it would be easy to find something that I do not need to
write some of the code myself.

Unfortunately a used laptop as suggested would not survive long in the
environment it will be used. I will be using a laptop running Terra
Term Pro or similar for the development, but for the actual test
system I need somthing a bit more robust.

I wish the LCD manufacturers could define a standard interface so that
one can easily use these displays even with small MCUs such as
AVR, PIC and 8051s.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Re: Looking for LCD display with serial interface.

I think there is an inherent problem, if you want RS232, in that the
speed of the RS232 interface would limit the speed of the
graphics. Possibly a sufficiently clever protocol could mitigate this,
maybe something like VNC?

--

John Devereux

Re: Looking for LCD display with serial interface.

Didn't VT220 have some simple protocols for drawing graphics, such
as circles, boxes, lines etc. If you can find a VT220 emulator, you
could use an industrial PC with lcd-screen, and run it on that.
I think you can get these for $2000-3000 and they are suitable for
somewhat rough environments.

--
Thanks,
Frank Bemelman

I believe you're thinking of the VT240. See:

http://vt100.net/docs/vt240-hr/ek-vt240-hr-002.pdf

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Re: Looking for LCD display with serial interface.
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:03:45 +0200, "Frank Bemelman"

Much more pleasant to look at than a real vt240 :-)

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Re: Looking for LCD display with serial interface.

Dunno--think I'd prefer the VT!

Boring, by comparison, but much less obnoxious, IMO, than that partic-
ular induhvidual. There are plenty of other ladies that would inspire
me to quite the opposite reaction, of course.

--
egr

Re: Looking for LCD display with serial interface.

Maybe RIP would do what you want. Ah, the old days of BBSs...

BTW, what is the survivability issue with a laptop, exactly? The hard
drive? You don't need to use a hard drive...

Re: Looking for LCD display with serial interface.

IP65. What you want is an industrial PC, panel PC,  with touchscreen.
Anything less is a guaranteed road to disaster. Spend the $4000 ;)

For the prototype you can use the salesmanagers' laptop, he doesn't
know what to do with it anyway.

--
Thanks,
Frank Bemelman

All of a sudden that $700 SmartLCD-Color isn't such a laughable idea
after all ;)

I don't know if Anton needs a $4k industrial PC.  Doesn't sound like
he's going to be running peripherals that'd need the full
architecture.  Nor is he going to be running the PC-class
applications.  All he wants is to dump some text and simple graphics
on the screen.

I think a SBC w/ LCD is the way to go.  We've had a helluva time
integrating with some of the QVGAs out there... definitely the biggest
hassle of development.  Triscend chipsets look interesting and could
definitely help get around that... but do you really need the
flexibility of a SoC product and the ability to interface to many
different LCD panels?  Aren't you doing just one design?

Why not just choose one LCD controller + LCD and go with it?  FWIW, we
use the Epson-Seiko SED1375.

Re: Looking for LCD display with serial interface.

Yes, but is that IP65 ?

--
Thanks,
Frank Bemelman

I still have my Timex Sinclair.

Re: Looking for LCD display with serial interface.

<snip>

IMO do some RS-232 interfaced HMIs (Human Interface Units - quaint!)
which sound like what you are looking for. They are designed for factory
environments and also to be connected to several different types of PLCs,
so they can use an assortment of protocols. You program the beast with
some free software to get the display that you want. There are various
models ranging from very basic mono ones up to colour touch-screens. None
are very cheap, but no industrial control stuff is! They appear to be
cheaper than most of the competition though.

--
Mick
http://www.nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini info.

I think this is the normal chicken/egg situation. People do not use
it, because it is not available. And it is not produced/designed
because there is no preceived need.
I think the people who need this type of fairly slow graphics display
for graphs etc., probably use embedded PCs with LCD display and
software such as LabView. I presume one would also find this type of
thing in the PLC world. Unfortunately my budget does not stretch
nearly far enough to go the PLC route.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Re: Looking for LCD display with serial interface.

Actually I think you're quite right here, your "RS232 graphics
terminal" would be fast enough for many things and quite a useful
thing.

There aren't any colour LCDs with built in controllers, so you are
probably talking about a fairly powerful micro/controller
combination. A GUI usually takes 10x the computing power of the rest
of an embedded application, so you may as well program the whole thing
on the "lcd controller". You are then back to an "embedded PC" type of
beast.

--

John Devereux

Re: Looking for LCD display with serial interface.
Anton,

Again, without knowing more about your specific application
(power/reliability/size constraints), it's hard to know what
specifically would match your needs.  But if it's the development
effort (for a 'development board' like the SLC) that concerns you,
feel free to drop me an email at the address above.

And this isn't meant to be a sales pitch at all... our 'targeted'
customers are OEM guys that integrate these into their products... but
even if it's just a one-shot deal, we should be able to work out a
pretty simple serial-> terminal emulation on QVGA version for you.  If
nothing else, we'd get to add it to our collection of sample programs.