Re: Linux AVR gcc binary package?

Looks like there are some fairly recent RPMS here:

    http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/avr-libc/snapshots /

I've never used any of these specifically since I use FreeBSD Unix.

If you use FreeBSD Unix, you can install your complete AVR development
environment which includes the gcc compiler, libc, program download
support (avrdude), and JTAGICE support under gdb very simply as follows:

    % cd /usr/ports/devel/avr-gcc && make install
    % cd /usr/ports/devel/avr-libc && make install
    % cd /usr/ports/devel/avrdude && make install
    % cd /usr/ports/devel/avr-gdb && make install
    % cd /usr/ports/devel/avarice && make install

Cheers,
-Brian
--
Brian Dean, snipped-for-privacy@bdmicro.com
BDMICRO - Maker of the MAVRIC ATmega128 Dev Board

Of course. I recommend Debian GNU/Linux. There are standard packages for
everything you need. You'll want these:

binutils-avr - binary utilities that support Atmel's AVR targets
gcc-avr - The GNU C compiler (cross compiler for avr).
avr-libc - Standard C library for Atmel AVR development
avra - Assembler for Atmel AVR microcontrollers

and one of these:

avrp - Programmer for Atmel AVR microcontrollers
avrprog - Programmer for Atmel AVR microcontrollers
uisp - Micro In-System Programmer for Atmel's AVR MCUs

Sami
--
Fairness, niceness, these things are irrelevant.
With true understanding comes correct action.

I guess that I opened a can of worms.  How many flavors of Linux are there?
I have Redhat 6.1 - What is Debian?  Is that a release name?

thanks again,
DLC

:> Hi all,
:>
:>   Is there a full Linux install for the gcc AVR compiler and programmer?

: Of course. I recommend Debian GNU/Linux. There are standard packages for
: everything you need. You'll want these:

: binutils-avr - binary utilities that support Atmel's AVR targets
: gcc-avr - The GNU C compiler (cross compiler for avr).
: avr-libc - Standard C library for Atmel AVR development
: avra - Assembler for Atmel AVR microcontrollers

: and one of these:

: avrp - Programmer for Atmel AVR microcontrollers
: avrprog - Programmer for Atmel AVR microcontrollers
: uisp - Micro In-System Programmer for Atmel's AVR MCUs

: Sami
: --
: Fairness, niceness, these things are irrelevant.
: With true understanding comes correct action.
: -- snipped-for-privacy@interport.net (void)

* Dennis Clark         snipped-for-privacy@frii.com                www.techtoystoday.com   *
Re: Linux AVR gcc binary package?

Sami,

  Nice list of packages, but it lacks either avrdude or uisp to download
the binary to the chip in the package lists.

And will require me to install YAOS on the box...

still, hmm,
DLC

:> I guess that I opened a can of worms.  How many flavors of Linux are there?
:> I have Redhat 6.1 - What is Debian?  Is that a release name?

: Have a look at <URL:http://www.debian.org/ . If you have problems
: installing the RPMs, move to Debian. You can say "apt-get install [the
: packages I mentioned]" and it downloads and installs them with no
: further interaction.

: Sami
: --
: Fairness, niceness, these things are irrelevant.
: With true understanding comes correct action.
: -- snipped-for-privacy@interport.net (void)

* Dennis Clark         snipped-for-privacy@frii.com                www.techtoystoday.com   *
Re: Linux AVR gcc binary package?

The problem with RPM is that they are a bit distribution specific.
Probably
you get path problems or you libc version does not match.

But there is a third way between CVS and RPM package:
AVRtoolbox is a set of modules managed by a script that automatically
builds them from source after you downloaded them. You just have to
provide
the required devel packages for your system.
Not as easy as to install an RPM, but also not as hard as compiling the
complete chain by hand. All components of AVRtoolbox reside in a single
directory (deleting this directory is indeed not more complicated than
de-
installing an RPM).

Take a look at:
http://micha.freeshell.org/avr/AVRtoolbox/AVRtoolbox.html

Micha
--
"The PROPER way to handle HTML postings is to cancel the article,
then hire a hitman to kill the poster, his wife and kids, and fuck

What do you mean by "ever-fluid Windows platform"? What specific
problems are you having with the Windows toolset?

Re: Linux AVR gcc binary package?
:> Hi all,
:>
:>   Is there a full Linux install for the gcc AVR compiler and programmer?
:> I'm looking to move off the ever-fluid Windows platform to Linux to gain
:> advantage of other Unix tools, but I DON'T want to become a GNU toolchain
:> guru to do it.  Along with a C compiler/assembler I'd need a download
:> mechanism as well.  Has anyone packaged up a complete Linux installer for
:> this toolset?
:>

: What do you mean by "ever-fluid Windows platform"? What specific
: problems are you having with the Windows toolset?

Windows 95, 98, 98 Gold, 98SE, Windows ME, Windows NT3.5, NT4.0, W2000,
XP... Every damn one of 'em different from the last, sometimes substantially.
Makes it a bit of a headache building tools to be reliable on all of them
at the same time. Every damn one of 'em more memory hungry and bloated than
the last - Not that most OS's don't have the same issue, but Linux is a bit
less arbitrary it seems in implementing "standards".  I really get tired of
running afoul of some .ocx or .dll that seems to change with the cycles of
the moon, and REALLY tired of the registry.

Just my opinion, if you love Windows, power to you, it works for most folks
just fine.

IMO, YMMV,
DLC

* Dennis Clark         snipped-for-privacy@frii.com                www.techtoystoday.com   *
Re: Linux AVR gcc binary package?

Oh, now I see. I thought you were referring to the AVR toolset on the
Windows platform, not the Windows OS itself! I agree, I don't care
much for MS and their bad OSes.

However, if you need the AVR toolset for Windows, check out WinAVR
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/winavr>
It seems to work pretty well for most Windows users. Of course YMMV.

Re: Linux AVR gcc binary package?
Dennis Clark threw some tea leaves on the floor

The docs at:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/avr-libc/doc/ --> join next line
avr-libc-user-manual/install_tools.html

and:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/avr-libc /

Are very good imho, but if you'd prefer a single document to take you
thru the install process on a Linux box, my how to may be of interest.

http://milkstone.d2.net.au/electronics/micro/avr-gcc-installing-2003.html

--
              Kind Regards from Terry
    My Desktop is powered by GNU/LinuX, Gentoo-1.4_rc2