Re: JTAG debugger recomendations

Hi Group

> > I'm in the business of shopping a new JTAG debugger and would like to > hear what other people recommend. Important points for me are > > - support for multiple target CPUs > - stable operation > - ease of use > - good support from the debugger company > - support for the GNU toolchain > - what other criterias should I look for? > > The targets I'm likely needing support for will be ARM and PowerPC > cores. I do have some candidates in mind, but don't want to bias > posters. > > TIA >

Abatron BDI-2000 works very good. Available in the US from Ultimate Solutions, Inc. Web:

Also available from Microcross bundled with GNU tools.

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me

Try Chameleon POD from Amontec

and the ARM Debug ValuePack. It works fine with GNU tools, IAR or Greenhills debuggers.

... very low cost and 30x faster than the bitbangged Wiggler.

Larry

Reply to
Amontec, Larry

Try Chameleon POD from Amontec

and the ARM Debug ValuePack. It works fine with GNU tools, IAR or Greenhills debuggers.

... very low cost and 30x faster than the bitbangged Wiggler.

Larry

Reply to
Amontec, Larry

How are you guys progressing with the usb version ?

Do you support all the Philips chips ? lpc213x and lpc214x ?

Also does the chameleon work with the TI arm chips or OMAP ?

Ti have announced they are bringing out arm9 + C6400 in the near future as part of their Da Vinci marketing drive.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

I work with Lauterbach, Ashling and iSystem.

iSystem comes as IDE with build tool. Ashling has an external IDE, they call AsIDE which is Slick Edit. Lauterbach is _just_ a debugger.

All support GNU, but IMHO Ashling has still problems with it.

Ashling and iSystem need Windows, Lauterbach work also on Linux and AFAIK Solaris.

iSystem and Lauterbach support is/can be in German (if this is important). Ashling only partly (see below).

All three can be retargeted to ARM/PPC where Lauterbach support debugging of both at the same time.

IHMO, don't look to much on the individual price, rather look if you like to work with their respective GUIs.

BTW: I am a little biased, as my employer might sell you Ashling or iSystem in Swizzerland. But I most often use Lauterbach as I develop on a Linux Box rather than Win??

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)

30x faster? do you have some figures for programming speed with your Chameleon POD?

Something like

for instance? I see there our parallel port ARM-JTAG (Wiggler) have 25KB/s programming speed in RAM and 14KB/s programming speed in Flash with CrossWorks for the LPC microcontrollers. Does your statement mean that yours will program 750KB/s in RAM and

420KB/s in Flash with the same software (CrossWorks) or this is just attempt for yet another marketing hype?

Best regards Tsvetan

--
PCB prototypes for $26 at http://run.to/pcb (http://www.olimex.com/pcb)
PCB any volume assembly (http://www.olimex.com/pcb/protoa.html)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
tusunov

Do you need separate BDI-2000 units, or separate licences, for each target type? The BDI-2000 is pretty expensive, but if the one purchase supports ColdFires, MPC, and ARM, then it is a lot better value for money.

Reply to
David Brown

IIRC, the latter. I think the way it worked was that for each target family there is a firmware set you download. And I think ARM7 and StronARM were different target families. Your local Abatron distributor could probobably provide a definitive answer.

It is a bit expensive, but it's a top-notch product that supports GDB remote natively[1], and has a telnet interface for doing bare-bones stuff. It also has a flash-programming mode for programming ROMs on the uController's external bus.

The other units I looked at all required an external server program to translate between GDB's remote protocol and some proprietary protocol. The people I talked to who were running units like that said that it generally worked, but it was a PITA to set up and maintain.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Then, it's off to
                                  at               RED CHINA!!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Grant is correct, there is a firmware download and sometimes a cable change. I think the firmware sets are about US$1000.

The other unit we use is a TI XDS-560. PCI based it is really fast. I believe it is TI specific though. Works great on the TMS320 series parts. Also expensive. Might be in the $3K - $4K range.

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me

I thought it was something like that. I've heard only good things about Abatron, as long as the price is not a problem :-)

Reply to
David Brown

Does the Cameleon POD have the same sort of pricing model as the Abatron BDI-2000, with extra targets costing for a firmware license and possibly a new cable? Or do you get support for every target with a single purchase?

mvh.,

David

Reply to
David Brown