Re: Free FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 filesystem (C) - Page 2

Re: Free FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 filesystem (C)
Look at the chapter 'Mount options for vfat' in the MOUNT(8) manual page.

   Defines the behaviour for  creation  and  display  of  filenames
   which fit into 8.3 characters. If a long name for a file exists,
   it will always be preferred display. There are four modes:

Re: Free FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 filesystem (C)

yes - if I mount the filesystem as vfat I can tell it to show names.
"sudo mount dostest mnt_here/ -o loop -o uid50%0 -t vfat -o

The problem I was trying to avoid was using long file names since dosfs
does not support them. So before I did the mount with -t msdos. It does
not accept the shortname options. With vfat it seems the files are
created with uppercase names, even if I enter lowercase ones. Bizarre.
In any case changing the memcmp to strncasecmp as I recommended to
Larwe is optional, but I believe useful to extend fsdos portability.

I really don't understand the difference between the linux file types
of msdos, umsdos, and vfat.

Thanks for the suggestion, ~Steve

Re: Free FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 filesystem (C)

I believe that MSDOS does not support long file names, while VFAT does.

UMSDOS is a filesystem that emulates unix file system functionality on
top of a DOS (FAT) filesystem, such as permissions, ownership, etc.

It was used in the old days for running linux on a DOS partition without
having to repartition your drive. It is crucially important that if you
use umsdos, you do not touch the files when inside DOS/windows :)

Site Timeline