Re: Embedded contract work wanted.

(snip)

While you are looking, why not make a name for yourself?  Go to
http://www.freedos.org and write some code that helps the project.
Also see http://www.freedos.org/news/version1/ and
http://www.freedos.org/news/version1/post /

Getting your work out there for employers to see is a great way
to get a good job.

--
Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire.
Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you

Re: Embedded contract work wanted.

My $0.02:
Work which can be done anywhere in the US can be done anywhere in the world.
Your best long-term strategy is to focus on local hands-on contracts.  Customers
who see you interacting with their staff/equipment regularly know they can't
easily send your work out of town/state/country/planet.  This philosophy has
helped keep us in business for over 20 years.

On the other hand, sometimes a little commodity programming fills in the
downtime.  Here is where I have successfully whored myself out:
http://www.2rentacoder.com .  At $18/hr you should be quite competitive.

Disclaimer: We are a 2RentACoder affiliate, but we only benefit from buyers who
initially click through from our website.  So far we've made nothing from being
an affiliate, but I did one small programming contract that worked out well.

--
Chuck Cox,
SynchroSystems

Hmm.  What sort of projects did you do?  Was it actually worth it?

The site seems to contain many projects where the clients are
expecting to pay well under $500, in many cases for substantial bodies
of work.  In my experience few standalone projects in the under $500
category are really worth it, what with all the time needed
interacting with the client and getting things properly specified.

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor<at>picante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor /
   Linux Printing Website and HOWTO:  http://www.linuxprinting.org /

Re: Embedded contract work wanted.
On 07 Jul 2004 13:24:55 -0400, Grant Taylor

Yes, most projects are not worth bothering with.  I have my bid filter set to
exclude anything under $500 minimum bid.  That does exclude most projects, but
not all.

It is also true that a lot of projects are cancelled, so you don't want to
bother putting too much effort into a bid unless you are confident it is legit.
My experience is that the better the specification, the more real the project.
If the spec is weak, you can send a message requesting clarification, this is a
good way to find out how serious the buyer is.  Keep in mind that buyers can
post projects at no cost or obligation until a bid is accepted, so use your
common sense.

I did a little $500 script generator application for a law firm.  Not embedded
work, but similar to a test script generator and it was very well specified.  It
took about a day to write & test.  Worked out to about $50/hr after commission,
not bad for slack time.  I have bid on about a dozen projects and about half of
them were actually awarded to someone.

Although they have offered embedded projects in the past, they only recently
added a specific "Embedded" category.  Hopefully the number of embedded projects
will start to increase.

--
Chuck Cox, President
SynchroSystems

That's not so bad an experience, then.  It's always something of a
pain to fill in the nooks and crannies between larger gigs.

Yes, there are only a few that really qualify for the adjective.
Furthermore, overall I'd say that most of the projects are either
partly or grossly miscategorized.  But that's par for the course;
potential clients always need a good interrogation before you can tell
what they *really* want...

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor<at>picante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor /
   Linux Printing Website and HOWTO:  http://www.linuxprinting.org /

Re: Embedded contract work wanted.

You mean "...before you can tell THEM what they *really* want..."??  ;^)

    Patrick Klos                           Email: snipped-for-privacy@klos.com
    Klos Technologies, Inc.                Web:   http://www.klos.com /
==================== What goes around, comes around... =====================

Re: Embedded contract work wanted.
Hi Guy Macon,
Man you look like Dennis Ritchie in photo...
too good... and impressive resume.

_shafi

Re: Embedded contract work wanted.

Compare:
http://images.google.com/images?q=%22Dennis+Ritchie%22
http://www.guymacon.com /

Seperated at birth? :)

--
Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire.
Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you
Re: Embedded contract work wanted.
Man Guy,
Your integrity is at stake... You increase your rate. $18 per hour
seems to be very less and doubting. I am a fan follower of
dennis ritchie and hence yours too...

_shafi

Re: Embedded contract work wanted.

You are confusing me with someoene else.  I generally get $75
to $150 per hour, but will go lower for jobs that are interesting
from a techical standpoint.

--
Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire.
Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you
Re: Embedded contract work wanted.
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 11:44:44 +0100, the renowned Ian Bell

Yes, but by the standard rule of thumb he should be getting
approximately twice what the hourly pay would be in an equivalent FT
job, just to end up similarly off.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Embedded contract work wanted.

(Why is this being crossposted to comp.os.vxworks and comp.sys.arm?
What does any of this have to do with VXWworks or ARMs?)

I am looking forward to the time when wages in India rise, work
moves to another low-income country, wages rise there, work moves
again, and so on until they run out of places with poverty.  At
that point robotics will boom, but there will still be many jobs
that a robot cannot do because it takes a human brain.

that a robot cannot do (was Embedded contract work)

That is a normal human opinion, but can you give an example?

I am aware of a medical diagnostic system that (given the
observations from humans) is better than humans at getting the right
diagnosis, and a similar system for diagnosing Diesel Engines.

Some jobs (like roofing) are done by humans because humans are
cheaper.  - RM

Re: that a robot cannot do

Those are tasks which can be done by robotics/computers.  Here are
a few that can not be done by robotics/computers now (there may
be a breakthrough in the future, of course);

Design a toy for Mattel that 12-14 year old girls will find
to be fun, while rejecting toy designs that are not fun.

Read the newspaper and, from that material, write jokes that
are good enough for a Jay Leno monolog.

Lead a battalion of soldiers into battle against a capable enemy.

Decide whether to send those soldiers into battle, and against whom.

Interview a job applicant and decide whether she will be a good
fit with the existing team.

Translate between Japanese and English at a quality level
that is good enough for diplomatic use.

While translating between Japanese and English  at a quality
level that is good enough for diplomatic use, mistranslate
slightly to favor the side that hired you, but not so badly
that you lose plausible deniability.

Play a game of Go at a championship level.

Do an adequate job as a trial judge.

Do an adequate job as a supreme court justice.

Spell check a document as well as a human can without asking
the author any questions.

Carry on a reasonable conversation on Usenet.

Re: that a robot cannot do

Why stop with "design"? Go right on to "paint a Picasso" :-)
Note that the Cabbage Patch Kids were 'designed' in terms of
combinations and permutations by computers and built by robots
such that each one was unique!

There is s/w that will generate "new" jokes that it has not seen
before but has seen similar ones. No guarantees in humor: even
Jay 'dies' occasionally!

Care to define "lead"?  What you're saying is that the things that
are most difficult to define are "human" - i.e. what's left. Why not
go all the way and ask for a program that will 'fall in love'?

That does remain a challenge!

Good list. I Really mean it.  -  RM

Re: that a robot cannot do

Better than an AI could write? <grin>

Re: that a robot cannot do

Piece of cake. Optical pattern recognition.
switch(cup_size)
{
    case 'A': break;
    case 'B':
        Do2ndTierInterview();
        break;
    case 'C':
        Hire_Immediately(negotiate_wages);
        break;
    case 'D'
        Hire_Immediately(screw_the_wages);
        break;
    default:
        break; //possible OSHA issues
}

thats a good one.

Bob

--
"Just machines that make big decisions
 programmed by fellas with compassion and vision."

that is true today...

Re: Embedded contract work wanted.

One industry that many poor countries have is agriculture. However it's
often extremely hard for them to export profitably because they're competing
against the billions of dollars poured into subsidised agriculture by the
EU and the US. Is it any wonder that some poor countries have realised that
they can compete in industries that aren't protected by subsidies?

If you want to fight outsourcing, start at home.

--
Burn the land and boil the sea,
 You can't take the sky from me.

Site Timeline