Re: Best Practices for a Hardware/Embedded Designer

In my experience, designers and engineers our two very different type jobs.
In a R&D group of lets say twenty, there will only be one or two designers,
maybe three. The rest are just engineers. The designers think up and write
the design specification and the engineers will simply engineer to that
specification. The fastest way to kill a company is to burden those one or
two designers with paper work. In fact, they might simply just leave. In my
opinion, documentation should be the responsibility of the engineers and not
the designers.

Thomas

Re: Best Practices for a Hardware/Embedded Designer
jobs.
designers,
my
not

Didn't you just contradict yourself here? If designers are the one who write
the design specification, and documentation should be the responsibility of
the engineers, something has to give!
In my opinion, designers are quite useless to an organization if they can't
communicate their designs effectively and completely (read documentation).
It's ok if they think it's crappy work to write a document but if they
simply won't write specs/documents, then I'd rather have them
leave....they'd be useless with their designs sitting in their heads.

Cheers
Bhaskar

Re: Best Practices for a Hardware/Embedded Designer

But a well-written design specification _is_ documentation.  Where I've
been we called such people "systems architects" or "systems engineers",
and expected them to write thourough specifications.  Asking the systems
architect to document someone _else's_ work creates a PITA, of course.

-- and "designers" were usually low-level mechanical engineers who
worked up from drafting.

Tim Wescott
Re: Best Practices for a Hardware/Embedded Designer

Right, it's usually a combination of words  like system, design or designer,
architect and engineer or engineering. In fact I've seen it change each time
the business cards are reprinted. I guess my point was that in my
experience, management should try to keep the brains behind their company
happy, and the smart ones usually do. This is partially achieved by
lessening the paper work burden and allowing more time to do research and to
play with new technologies.

Thomas

Re: Best Practices for a Hardware/Embedded Designer

The best designers/systems engineers/system architects are usually people
who can communicate, their ideas to those who must implement them,
effectively. If they cannot do that then life becomes very difficult for
everyone in the company.

Whether they like it or loathe it, designers/systems engineers/system
architects in a High Integrity Development Environment have to record their
assumptions, ideas and calculations and allow others to check it out in
properly convened technical review processes. When lives may depend on the
outcome of the development it helps to clearly identify where failures were
really caused so that future failures of the same type can be eliminated.

Re: Best Practices for a Hardware/Embedded Designer

In every one of my companies, we have always enforced design review. No
one is immune from the process, no matter how experienced they are.
During the design review process, I have found that the majority of
criticisms and corrections usually come from the person who is being
reviewed. Its amazing how many little mistakes are caught when you have
to articulate and defend your own design.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.

george

Re: Best Practices for a Hardware/Embedded Designer

Hells Bells, that's the biggest load of bollocks I have heard in a long
time.

Ian

Site Timeline