Re: Basic DVI example?

Has anyone here worked on or have run across a hobbyist-scale project

> using DVI video/graphics? I would like to experiment with a DVI > transmitter fed by a dedicated SDRAM framebuffer, but I do not know > where to start.

We've done DVI, using a TFP410 physical layer with the pixel data fed from an FPGA. It's not terribly difficult - sync timings are available from the information-mega-web in various places, and you just present one pixel after another. Pulling that data out of SDRAM isn't too tricky, the data sheets and appnotes from Micron are helpful here.

You may also need to do some I2C setup of the DVI chip.

My experience is with PIC- and SX-based projects, but

I'm about to start working with FPGA projects. Any advice is > appreciated!

Start small and work up.... Generate the sync signals, view them on a scope. Generate some counters and use them to display grid patterns and things (generate the pixel data on-the-fly) Get the SDRAM interface working on it's own Then hook up the SDRAM to the display - voila.

Have fun! Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
TRW Conekt, Solihull, UK