Re: Bar Code Labeling Software

> I need to label some packages I will be shipping, both the bags the

>> boards are in and the boxes. There will be several fields on the labels >> and each field has a bar code, CODE128. I may also try to label the >> individual boards, but there isn't much room for a label, maybe on top >> of the FPGA. I found some software that is supposed to work with Open >> Office, but I haven't figured out quite how to make it work (I'll spend >> a little more time with it later today). I want to print onto the >> pre-cut label sheets of a couple of different sizes. >> >> In case the Open Office software is a bust for me, I wondering what >> others use for this? I don't think I will be using this more than once, >> so I'm not looking to spend a bunch on it.

So much of this depends on the context. From the mention of OpenOffice I assume that this is a one-off hand-assembled document rather than programmatic ouput from a DB or whatever. I've only had an occasional use for that and I've always found a suitable web-based generator to paste in from, e.g.

That seems to be among the better online options in that it has a wide choice of formats and the option of EPS output - I'm not overly inclined to trust low res bitmaps for something like this.

Formatted printed output from programs generally means Postscript in any event (for a Unix shop at least ;-) ), so inserting a barcode generation function in the header and then calling it with the right options later is no big hassle. I wrote a Postscript EAN-13 generator a few years back - it only took about an hour and I'm far from a Postscript expert, but I notice the same author as above has a far more comprehensive library at

which looks promising, although I have no direct experience of it.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

GNU barcode writes EPS, as well as other formats.

HTH, Klaus

Reply to
Klaus von der Heyde
[Cross-posting to news:alt.barcodes.] [...]

Even given that the majority of barcodes (and non-bar codes, such as the QR code) are essentially raster? (Well, except the alphanumeric label, if any.)

Yet, I cannot refrain from reminding that PostScript is /not/ a format, but a fully-featured programming language (which has certain implications on its own.) Surely, I'd prefer to handle a format which I can parse, instead of one I have to /execute/. (Generally, that'd mean either PDF or SVG, although the support for either seem to be falling behind that for PostScript.)

[...]
--
FSF associate member #7257
Reply to

Yes, a two off actually, two labels and they will need to be updated for the specific shipment, date, PO number, ect. I like using a spread sheet for this sort of thing since both the positioning of the fields is easy and it provides data functions. I found an Excel macro online. I just looked at the page you provided and the bar codes from the two sources don't seem to agree. I need to find a third source to verify which is right... unless I end up with three different outputs of the same thing! lol

I just don't have the time to deal with bar codes any more for now. I have to get the rest of the paperwork in order. Exports are a PITA.

Thanks for the links!

--

Rick
Reply to

Yes - I've had too many problems with bitmap barcodes in the past. It seems the biggest problem is that most printers seem to see a raster image and assume it's fair game for dithering. "Dotty" barcodes don't scan very well.

It's horses for courses. Personally I view that programmability as its greatest strength - it means you can draft a standard job header containing the relevant functions and from then on the job-specific stuff is high-level stuff that reflects both the logical layout of the job and the internal layout of the program doing the generation.

Since the issue here is barcodes consider drawing one "manually". You'll have a sequence of commands :

Go to x1,y1 Define box width x2 height y2 Fill with black. Go to x3,y3 Define box width x4 height y4 Fill with black...

30 or 40 times over. That kind of generation gets real tedious real fast and the resulting code inevitably looks a right mess. In contrast with postscript you define a standard function once in the job header and then simply call it, e.g.

(1234567890123) ean13

Of course you can argue that the complexity is simply shifted but it always seems a _lot_ cleaner to me to put the smarts in the job itself as opposed to the program - it saves "bitty" I/O for one thing and expresses the complex stuff in a language designed for the task at hand.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

barcodes have integer-width stripes, this layout fits well with bitmaps if the scale factor is an integer. Bitmaps will oftem be more space-efficient than vector formats, especially if the bitmap format allows non-square pixels,

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts
[Cross-posting to news:alt.barcodes.] [...]

Yes, that's what I wanted to say. However, there's indeed an issue with various software packages, which apply interpolation on scaling by default. Which means that the image gets the blur, the shades, and, finally, the dithering that was observed. And, frankly, while searching for an option to disable such interpolation for raster graphics may be an endeavor on its own, this whole issue rarely arises when using vector graphics.

... And as long as one embeds the raster in question into a vector image, this will almost always be easy to achieve.

--
FSF associate member #7257
Reply to

I used gnu barcode and awk to create a unix printer interface which would produce barcode labels for a POS system I did some years back. This worked very well, and while I'm not sure why you would want to parse the output (postscript) rather than simply print it, I would +1 for gnu barcode ... it just worked for me.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Spam

I'm not sure what you are saying. The label I need has a number of fields with a value and a barcode for each one. I ended up arranging it in a reasonably easy to read format that fits on a standard label sheet. I formated the Excel barcodes into labels arranged the labels on a page and print them out when needed.

I've have yet to verify that the barcodes are actually readable though... lol I hope they aren't giving my customer fits. I'm sure I wouldn't hear about it either way.

--

Rick
Reply to