raven woes

We have two Macraigor Raven for JTAG-ing...

A while ago one of them starting  working intermittedly, a few days later it
collapsed and died. Its' power LED still lights when on, but it fails to
connect to the target. Fortunately I have had the other Raven to work with.

Now, however, the second Raven is starting to work intermittedly, which
makes me worry about what will happen to it given the history of the first
Raven.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced Ravens dying on them,
and more importantly if they managed to revive them afterwards.

I have sent a similar message to Macgraigor, but given my previous
experiences with them, I do not have much hope of a response.

Thanks
Simon

Re: raven woes

Yes, we have experienced Ravens dying.  We have four or five.  One is dead.
Another is intermittent.  They all worked fine originally.  We got no
response
from Macriagor on this issue (they've been helpful on other issues though).

No, we have not had luck reviving them.  I was suspicious that the DB25
parallel port connector was intermittent.  We replaced that connector on
our dead Raven and that seemed to help, but it was short lived because now
it seems dead again.  We haven't experimented further because we have the
others that are working.

If you discover a fix, please share it.

 -- Kevin

Re: raven woes

encouraged by your (albeit shortlived) success, I resoldered all through
hole connections on the PCB, and gave the entire board a good cleaning with
'flux-off' ... and low and behold - it works again !  but for how long ?
time will tell.

Re: raven woes

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:33:22 +0200,

<snip>

I have a somewhat similar experience to what you describe. The raven
that i use works "partly", i.e., i can connect to my target using
GDB/Insight on cygwin on Windows, but the "Host" and "Target" LED's on
the Raven box remain off. Only the power LED is on.

I have tried getting the host software working on Linux (using
Macraigor's proprietary kernel modules and GDB server stub. Also, i've
been playing around with IAR System's C-Spy debugger. In both cases, the
debuggers complain that "the cable is disconnected". This does not
appear to be (solely) a hardware failure, as i have GDB/Insight working
with the Raven on the same development host, as described above.

Nevertheless, i wonder whether the software trouble can be caused by an
unstable Raven.

Regards,
--Tue

--
Tue Brems Olesen          http://www.aye.dk
Svar til / reply to <tue  at  aye  dot  dk>

Re: raven woes

I have also banged my head on this problem - in the end I had to have two
hosts : one with Windows 2K/cygwin running the Macraigor "ArmlibRemote"
module (with the RAVEN on its parallel port) - then I would connect from GDB
via TCP from my Linux host

just a stupid thought :  I have also found that when the raven starts
"misbehaving" it often helps to reduce the OCD speed - you may find that
your GDB/Insight connection uses a slow OCD speed (say 8) and the other two
environments (C-Spy & Linux) are connecting too fast ...

Re: raven woes

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:06:16 +0200,

Not at all stupid, that's what IAR systems mentions on their support
pages as well: (http://www.iar.com/Support/?note56%775 )

   "Sometimes Raven does not work well with C-SPY, even though it works with
   the OCD debugger.

   This is usually an indication that Raven works under light load, but are
   having trouble handling heavy load. C-SPY causes massive traffic during
   startup and normally stresses Raven more than the OCD debugger. A fast
   host computer will cause heavier traffic, thereby increasing the risk of
   communication problems.

   To simulate heavy load with the OCD debugger, try the following command:

      sf 1 4 0

   which means read 32-bit values starting at address 0 forever. This
   usually causes the OCD debugger to fail with Raven when C-SPY is having
   trouble."

Surfing on Macraigor's site today, i discovered a small tool to test the
connectivity to a RAVEN, attached to the parallel port. It's available
on http://www.ocdemon.net/Rav_tstr.exe

I tried the test tool, on several different development hosts, but
couldn't get any other results than "EPP mode parallel port not found"
(after ensuring that the BIOS settings for the parallel port was indeed
"EPP mode"). This brings me closer to the conclusion that the Raven in
question is dead.

If anyone has experiences with the test tool mentioned above, please let
me know!

--Tue

--
Tue Brems Olesen          http://www.aye.dk
Svar til / reply to <tue  at  aye  dot  dk>

Site Timeline