Rabbit, Netburner, or ?

I have an application that will write UP TO

2k bytes of data per day (often, less) for seven days a week into a battery-backed RAM chip. The data each day would start at a 2k boundary and unused bytes from the day before would be zeroed. I want to present the data via HTML as form data to a web browser as long as the data is non-zero. When a zero is encountered, the web processor should skip to the next 2k boundary and start sending form data again. The web processor needs to access the RAM chip only when sending the form data to the web browser; the rest of the time, the application processor will have priority over the address lines.

Is there a network-enabled processor that can conditionally send HTML code by addressing data in an external RAM chip (off-chip address and data buses) while monitoring a DISENABLE port pin for permission to address the chip?

I am not prepared to write an OS or TCP/IP stack application from scratch. I like the RABBIT's ease of programming, but I need a 14 bit external address bus plus extra handshake pins.

Can I add anything to make my question clearer?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

Rick

Reply to
kelvin_cool_ohm

This would be very easy to do on our Netburner MOD5270. The dynamic HTML is easy see the dynamic html sections in our programmers guide.

Our low cost MOD5270 dev kit is only $99.00 and we usually ship the same day for any orders received by noon.

You are comparing a 8 bit Z-80 (rabbit) with a non standard compiler. To a 32 bit 150Mhz processor with standard C/C++ compiler. NetBurner. We have had a number of developers switch from Rabbit to Netburner and we have gotten rave reviews, from them, on the environment tools and performace.

Paul CTO NetBurner.

Reply to
pbreed

It's been a few years but the last time I saw the compiler for the Rabbit, it looked pretty C like to me!

Reply to
Fred

You didn't look closely enough. My blood pressure kept rising as I was using it. I found it was close enough to be very irritating. It seemed every time I tried something it refused to work since the compiler didn't support it.

Mayhap they've become standard in the meantime but the last time I checked they seemed pretty resistant to the idea. Seemed to think their approach was superior.

Robert

Robert Adsett

Rick, can you do something to reduce your data size? like compression or abstraction so the web browser with simple script would fetch the abstract data to make it informative.

I would also vote for rabbit, they are good enough when it comes to documentation and sample code, but quite lazy in interactive support.

ali

Reply to
Ali

Unless the compiler has improved radically, it also produces about the most bloated code I've ever seen. Having said that, it is a useful processor with an affordable compiler.

Reply to
Fred

I've looked again and would still say it approximates pretty well to C code. My main quibble were with arrays of strings and there were a few other minor points. Otherwise it's OK like many other processors on the market.

Reply to
Fred

When I last attempted to use it it wouldn't compile something as basic as

static int noItems;

static void ClearItems( void) { noItems = 0; }

That's so important to proper data hiding that any C compiler that doesn't support that I find severely crippled.

That it didn't support compile time initialization was also a big annoyance (especially for tool generated code). I don't see any justification for that on a processor with this much memory and a compiler that has reached this age.

The libraries are nice but t'aint C.

Robert

Robert Adsett

Whats wrong with a serial dataflash with battery backup? The AT45DB642D has enough storage to last 4096 days @ 2kB /day without ever overwriting the memory (> 10 years) The part has two SRAM buffers of 1 kB +, so you can write to the buffer during the day, and commit the write to flash at the end of each day.

Then you can use an AT91SAM7X128 to do the job.

for OS/IP stack

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson