R8822 console access advice pls!!

Please have a look and drop some advice! Thanks

datasheet at http://www.rdc.com.tw/files/downloadfiles/R8822-F16.pdf

says:

serial0
-- RTS0/RTR0
-- CTS0/ENRX0
-- TXD0
-- RXD0

serial1
-- RTS1/RTR1
-- CTS1/ENRX1
-- TXD1
-- RXD1

I presume serial1 us the default console. (read it somewhere, am
correct?)

The cpu pinout:

R8822:
PQFP

pin  desc
001  RXD0/PIO23
002  TXD0/PIO22
003  RTS0/RTR0/PIO20
100  CTS0/ENRX0/PIO21

098 TXD1/PIO27
099 RXD1/PIO28
062 PCS3/RTS1/RTR1/PIO19
063 PCS2/CTS1/ENRX1/PIO18

Now is this as straightforward as it looks?
Do I just connect as follows?

9pin serial --> cpu
3 TxD --> 099 rxd1
2 RxD --> 098 txd1
7 RTS --> 063 cts
8 CTS --> 062 rts
(I dont even know what to cross for rs232, or do I?!)

Well, theres and LQFP diagram with a different pinout. What's that about?

The exact codes on the chip:
RDC
R8822
0322-D-QF
6U-FGSNP

I read that I can just send a ^C to the console during bootup to interrup
the process.

Since I have only worked with PC's in the past, I would greatly value an
advice/hints/info/directions you could give me for gaining access to th
box console so I can see how it works and maybe add something useful!

Thanks so much...

www.EmbeddedRelated.com

Re: R8822 console access advice pls!!

It seems that you need level shifting buffers between
the processor chip and the 9 pin connector. The RS-232
signal levels are different from the logic levels, and
the polarity is usually inverted.

Google for 'RS-232 buffer chips'.

--

Tauno Voipio