questions about motorola microcontrollers and MCUs in general

The demo board has an external BDM connector and can be used to communicate with a standalone device with a small modification.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sinclair

Think again.

If the eval board fits in the box, and costs less than building a custom one...

;-)

Reply to
cs_posting

Because that is EXACTLY your job, to have an open mind to all solutions. In a free-market economy this is everyone's job.

For example, I have need of connecting a couple of digital inputs to a legacy application. Pressing two keys on a keyboard would suffice. So in the short term I'm going to modify USB keyboards as a 2nd USB keyboard usually works in parallel on both Mac and PC.

In opening USB keyboards I may find a readily available USB keyboard chip that could be used beyond the prototype stage. Else I'll have to make something.

Usually an AVR is the quickest thing I can program and debug. But Atmel isn't there yet with USB AVRs that debug with plain JTAG ICE or Dragon. I no longer have a JTAG ICE mkII. And $15 qty 1 DigiKey price for AT90USB shipping chips is not attractive. AVR isn't there yet and its not my job to bend over backwards making it so.

I have an HC08 USB kit which needs to be considered.

Lots of USB on ARM. Maybe I need to make an ARM-based 2-key keyboard? :-)

Anyone hack a USB mouse microcontroller? Would like to use the mouse buttons but they can't be seen as mouse buttons to the host computer OS.

Reply to
David Kelly

In business reality, you only have so much time to pick a solution.

Usually, that means that if you find one with no major objections, you just go with that.

If you don't find one your like, then you carefully survey a few choices which comes close and pick the one that is least objectionable in terms of its not meeting your desired learning curve, development time, tool cost, unit cost, performance, etc...

If you are in a development cost dominated business, you will of course see things very differently than if you are in a unit cost dominated business.

Reply to
cs_posting

manufacturer's

solutions.

I have been reading, with great interest, this chain which answered man of my questions. Now, (as somebody was saying in this chain - forget hc1 but concentrate on what you can do), concentrating on list of simpl projects to do - basically to jumpstart - does any one have any step b step instructions on some of the projects? The first LED blinking wil help me push the supposedly easier part;-)

Thank you.

Reply to
kanna