Question on Automatic TESTING of Embedded Applications

I've been looking at off-the-shelf (OTS) software for automatically testing
embedded applications like medical devices(i.e., infusion pumps, heart
monitors, etc.).  I'm looking for a package that will automate unit and
system testing, and facilitate regression testing.  As I look at product in
the market, it seems they all require that the device application software
be wrapped in the vendors software in order to provide useful information.
This upsets the timing in a real-time application, and takes up needed
application memory.

So I'm looking for a OTS product that can do the job less intrusively.  I'm
still having a hard time sifting out the wheat from the chaff (I've visited
about 20 web sites that claim they have solutions).  Would some kind soul
give me some idea what products are out there that are best (or better) for
testing embedded applications?  They don't have to have been used in testing
a medical device.

TIA for any ideas, tips, suggestions, comments.
--
Manjo
A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built

Look at TestQuest (http://www.testquest.com /).

Non-intrusive test of devices such as PDAs, cell phones, set-top
boxes, etc.  They got their start testing medical devices such as
pacemaker programmers, ventilators, and blood analyzers.

Windows software runs a C language interpreter and controls hardware
that simulates the user.  Captures target output through video
interfaces, serial links, etc.

Disclaimer: I used to work for them when their name was B-Tree
[Verification] Systems.

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: Question on Automatic TESTING of Embedded Applications
Dave,
I'll take a look at TestQuest.  One of the guys here at the office thought
this was B-Tree reborn.  Thanks for the tip.   p.s.  I tired replying to you
from home this morning so this may be a duplicate message.  OE can be
temperamental on a dial-up system.
--
Manjo
A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built
Re: Question on Automatic TESTING of Embedded Applications

Hi

see www.hitex.co.uk or www.hitex.de

Have a look at TESSY (terrible name for a good tool) It works with many
ICE to give fully automated unit and system testing.

Hard real time on target.  This is with completely  NON-instrumented
code. Ie it runs the production code on the HW in real-time.

It has a graphical test case editor for determining test cases that was
initially designed by Daimler Chrisler for embedded automotive testing.

Regards
        Chris

Re: Question on Automatic TESTING of Embedded Applications
in article sTUJ3rBcNGj$ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.demon.co.uk, Chris Hills at

Chris,

Thanks for the info.  I only had a chance to glance at the web site, but it
looks very interesting.  I will study the site more thoroughly this morning.
Thank you for the information.

Manjo

Re: Question on Automatic TESTING of Embedded Applications

testing

Considering your application area, be careful with automated testing.  The
types of medical products you listed would be classified as type 2 or type 3
devices in the US market by the FDA and require careful testing.  Looking at
the two products recommended so far, it is unclear that they will do an
adequate job of testing all code paths and how they handle calls outside of
a given function and supplying a variety of call return values.

We use IPL's Cantata test tool http://www.qcsltd.com for this job and it
provides all the coverage you will need for all levels of medical products.

There is also CodeTest from Metrowerks
http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Develop/AMC/CodeTEST/default.htm , but it is on
the high end of the price scale.

You can get names and web pointers to some others on our web site at:
http://www.validatedsoftware.com/code_coverage_tools.html

--
Scott
Validated Software Corp.