Q: infrared I/O

Guys,

has anyone of you ever dealt with IR I/O? I mean all those neat things with remote control, data xchange between computers and different devices (cell phones, whatever)?

I have a few questions.

  1. Do all of those widely spread commercial IR devices work using the same physical protocol (the freq/wavelength range, modulation (pulse modulation supposedly), etc)?

  1. Are you aware of any cheap IR ports (or IR-photo diode / IR-LED pairs) for PCs, which aren't equipped with such (e.g. may have only a UART-IR transciever on the mobo or nothing at all)?

  2. Do you know any cheap and easy to use (sorry, easy to connect & solder :) UART-IR transcievers with IR diode pairs?

What I want is interfacing of a custom device with a PC wirelessly. And this interfacing should be both easy to implement (little of circuitry and of course preferrably cheap) and easy to use (for a dumb device & PC user). I've seen a few chips that kinda transform regular UART RX/TX into IR, but I'm not really sure it's all that simple. I'm concerned of the compatibility, want to make sure I can interface the device with a regular desktop PC and this should probably work just fine with notebooks, but I've never tried.

Please advise.

Thanks Alex

Reply to
Alexei A. Frounze

No. Different consumer electronics IR use different methods though there are some standards out there. PCs and PDAs use another standard (IrDA).

Reply to
Gary Kato

Alexei A. Frounze schrieb:

You might look here: