PSoC Express: Does it work for semi-analog designs?

Mine doesn't either (we are prototyping using 0805 resistors since any smaller is a pain to debug/solder out/in)

Regarding the 4x array, it is fairly cheap (about 15 times a single

0805, in the 5% version about 3 times a 0805 resistor). So a quad respack compares to a 0805 if you can live with the 5% tolerance (we often can, since only a portion of a design needs precision resistors)

But here is the point, since our placement costs are high, using a resistor array means ony one placement instead of 4 placements and thus the total price is much lower. We cannot use them however since the production cannot solder them reliable. We have used the standard layout from the manufactor and enhanced it further but they could not get the failure rate down :-( We can however handle 0402 parts reliably

Another really nice part is the dual BJT: BC847BPN - you should check it out (it's cheap also)

Good point. I have tried for the last year, but my suspicion is that the production guys simply is overbooked with work and also that they lack the experience and drive to improve the failure rates of special components. Its quite sad to try to optimize a design and being told the production cannot use the suggested parts.

I guess another solution would be to find an expert consultant, that can bring us further

We have a pretty high volume (more than 100mill SMD part mounted per year), but prefer to mount only SMD inhouse and take the labor-extensive work abroad

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund
[...]

On one of my latest designs I had a few 0805 and some SOT23. Under the microscope they looked like huge boulders compared to all the rest.

I guess you really have to work on it to get competitive placement costs.

Check out these guys for stuff you don't want to move outside Europe:

Don't know if they are also in Denmark since their locations page requires some stupid flash player. Web site designers are .... no, no, just bit my lips, I am not going to say that.

Yes, that one is nice. Not exactly cheap, between 3-4c in the US.

If you can't get anywhere right now then a consultant might really be needed. I believe that either your own production needs to buy into the future or you need to outsource it.

When it comes to the "convincement meeting" which usually has to include your corporate top brass a very powerful method of convincing most everyone is this: Take a modern miniaturized appliance, for example a cell phone, an iPod, a kids toy. Something that everyone knows. Pry the circuit board out and pass that around. Or, what we often do, take a photo with a small coin next it and show it on the projector. Then ask the magic question "This is the future. If we don't get there the competition will have us for lunch. So how do we get there?"

Well, if the inhouse guys don't have the tools for fine-pitch they need to get those machines then. If they don't want to, what choice other than outsourcing do you really have? Or to say it more bluntly, building only tractors because the folks can only build big stuff isn't going to fly in the long run. The US auto makers have taken that road to some degree. Look where that got them. Every time a new environmental law comes out they whine and complain while their Japanese colleagues roll up their sleeves and get to work.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I have looked at some of the smaller packages, but I often see higher prices for the small stuff. For example:

BC847 (SOT-23): 0.17USD BC846BM3T5G (SOT-723): 0.37USD

Both prices are from mouser just to compare them fairly. So I think in some cases a larger design is actually cheaper since the parts run in high volume from the manufactor and it is a well known production process

looks very interesting - i will try to get a BOM they can qoute (will be very interesting)

The same here - for comparison we give about 1c for a standard BC847B (high volume)

Yes - it seems its time to dig deeper into the production problems

Good recommendation. Actually we often buy pumps from Asia competitors to look how they can do it so cheap. Often they still use leaded assembly and cheap FR4 boards (so our quality guys just say they can sell it so cheap because the quality is bad)

An iPod would be a good choice since it has to have long durability, but ofcourse it is expensive

Thanks

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

That's if you buy one or two. Else the SOT23 is under $0.02 at Mouser:

Never seen SOT723 though.

This could be a difficult mission. Be prepared for some stone-walling and excuses that are brought onto the table. You'll need upper management participation and support as well as iron-clad quotes from outside assemblers for existing products of your company. Then you'll have hard data along the lines of "It costs this much to assemble here and XYZ Corporation would charge us only that much to do it outside".

Why is FR-4 so bad? Believe it or not but some of my designs were even run on good old phenolic. The stuff still lasts decades. There has to be a very compelling reason to go beyond FR-4, even for RF designs. Maybe if your pump controllers have to work in outer space or something like that :-)

As for RoHS, well, don't get me started. That was one of the more stupid decisions by Eurocrats but that's a whole 'nother topic. The main goal should probably be to push for an exemption.

Or maybe they added a humongous profit margin. Kids pay whatever it takes to be at least as hip as their class mates and the industry knows that well. Since you are in Scandinavia you might pick a more local example that is not expensive. I have a Nokia 2115i cell phone which should definitely contain lots of really tiny parts. Still it cost me only about $10 with a $40 usage commitment. Without a long-term plan so besides maybe half of those $40 there cannot be any subsidies or loss tendering in it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, I have heard the excuses before and since I'm not an expert on pick & places machines its difficult to figure out if they are real or not

Well, I didn't mean FR4 is bad. We use only FR4, but rarther that the asia manufactors use a cheap FR4 with worse quality (so says the q-guys) and thus lower price. Perhaps we should try to do an example design with that....

Couldn't agree more. Whats more funny is that purchasing and production has been working on this for litterally years and then they figure out it really isn't demanded for pump applications

Will try that out. Many thanks for good comments :-)

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Well, if other companies are able to handle fine pitch I guess they aren't real. If it's budgeting concerns then that would be a clear indicator to outsource.

Why don't you just do a pilot run at one of the larger SMT assemblers? Pick one near you and visit them for a tour together with your production managers. Then they'd see what is state of the art.

It should be the engineers making materials decisions, not so much QA folks. If a certain lower cost kind of FR-4 is good enough with some margin, why use a more expensive material?

Ouch...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

rickman wrote: # So now they have a tool that they can claim eliminates writing code. I # have only seen that once before in my career and that was a full page # ad in Byte magazine some 20+ years ago. I never saw anything further # from that company. :^)

:)

# I have been pursuing info on the new PSOC3 chips and I am pretty sure I # have the straight scoop on it now. They will be coming out with two # new PSOC3 lines, one with an 8051 type CPU and one with an ARM # Cortex-M3 CPU.

Interesting - seems Cypress have not bought into the "Cortex M3 replacing 8 bit uC" spin, from ARM :) Cypress doing this sounds more similar to Freescale's push, which is more than one core choice, but more common peripherals.

# Both lines will have the new, NEA (no excuses analog) # programmable blocks.

Oh dear, who makes up these names. Last time I looked at a PSoC analog block, it really did look like an Analog bock done in a digital process : a long way from high performance Analog. I prefer my Analog Blocks to be fully specified, - the buck has to stop somewhere, and names like NEA sound like the triumph of optimisim over experience

# I hope they can also improve on the digital # blocks. I have a small, 10 input multiplexer that I would like to # implement in the PSOC instead of having to add a CPLD. But the current # PSOC can't really do this.

CPLD + uC is a tough target. The uPSDs have this, and there was talk of a 32 MCell CPLD variant, but that never appeared, and they offer versions spec'd with NO cpld at all, to avoid scaring off users who do not want to use a CPLD.

# Don't hold your breath for the PSOC3 parts. They are still banging on # the keyboard writing the upfront documentation, so samples may be # available a year from now.

That's a long way out. Freescale will have their Simplified Coldfire by then, and maybe SiLabs will have entered the 32 bit realm by then as well.

-jg

Reply to
-jg

Lets look at the shotsky affect from the transmittent transformers before going into the next level of transievers where pre and post layout has already been done if the engineering is correct. Whereby the second level of transister layou takes on the second layer effect. Affecting the transister receiving the emination. Light emmitting diodes are the first link in verification and monitoring.

*frequency *occurance *reliability *monitoring *troubleshooting and analysis of circuit pathways should be monitored for farad wavelengths and implications. Let us stick with late 60's design before exploring current and ongoing advances in the industry. Analog to digital will complicate todays discoveries. We still are developing circuits we don't know that work as much as how they work. Digital is an '80s phenomenom. Some circuitry are obsoleted in 2000 using 1940's technology. Remember electricity is still infantily new. Many "U" chips are still not on NASA's reliability charts.
Reply to
Bitznpeezs

Ok, guys, I went to the seminar today. Very well done, four attendants including me, plus two engineers from Cypress and two from Arrow. That meant we could get all our questions answered. Simple designs that usually take a half hour or more to code could be entered in minutes. It was a hands-on session where everyone brought their laptops and actually did some code. Bottomline I think PSoC Express is definitely worth a good look.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hi Joerg, Can you elaborate with the corner points - ie where does this higher level entry, run out of steam ? What is it good for, and where should you avoid using it ?. Did they mention the ARM PSoC ?

I've used the SiLabs forms entry system for peripheral config, and that is definitely a time, and error, saver

-jg

Reply to
-jg